Huge decision coming up

Discussion in 'General' started by legalizeme, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Ok, I have changed my mind about my future so many times I'm just getting tired about thinking about it. I'll give you the low-down, it will be long, but it's my only way to get help with this. Thanks in advance

On November 18th, I got arrested for a simple possession and paraphernalia charge. The main problem was that it was in my dorm. So now, I had a whopping amount of fees to pay. Overall, it has ranged to about $2,000 and I'm still fucking pissed about that. Anyway, I got kicked out of my dorm, had to pay these fines, oh and I forgot to mention that I have a single mom who makes $35,000 a year. So what the fuck. I immediately got depressed for about a week. I wanted to transfer schools to a place that's in my home town (New Orleans). And this is the big decision I'm talking about.

Surprisingly, a cute young girl came along and made me feel a whole lot better. Hooray everything is great for about a month of us talking and seeing each other and crap. Everything was going fine until about a week before I had to go back to school. Then she randomly backed off without a reason and I rarely talk to her anymore.

So damn, I was pretty bummed again. For about a month. Mostly because I figured out the state was charging more and more for drug tests and certificates and a lot more bullshit. Pile the fines from my school and what happened with this girl on top of it. And damn, I was at my low point.

Feeling better now. Applied to the school I wanted to go to, went on a tour and liked it. And holy shit, right when I thought that it was planned out, that I was going to transfer without a doubt, something happened. My friend told me I could get a job at EA as a game tester. I actually got the job today and am pumped. So now here's my big conflict: I hated the city I'm in right now and LOVE New Orleans. The school that I want to go to happens to have a lot better academic connections (for example they REQUIRE internships with businesses in New Orleans). And I want to live and get a job in New Orleans after I graduate. But now, I have this great job that I can work throughout college if I stay where I am. Socially, I like the people at my school now better than the ones at school in New Orleans. And it just so happens that the girl I dated goes to that school.

I love my friends here but hate the city (not as much anymore, but it's not New Orleans). I don't like the people as much in New Orleans but I love the atmosphere of the campus. Also it will set me up with much better connections in New Orleans. I want to transfer, but I want to stay because my 3 buddies want to room together at my current school. I have no idea what the hell to do. I want to transfer, but maybe I should wait? I'm only a freshman so I guess I do have more time to decided. Maybe transfer for my junior year? I don't know.

I want to make the best decision, but it's so hard with the pros that are on each side. I want to be as happy as possible, and right now, I'm not sure which decision would get me there. Any thoughts? Recommendations based on experience? I probably should add that one of my best buds is my hook up here, and he always smokes me out and hooks me up when I buy from him. Thats always a major pro:smoking:

2. dude....how does one get into the game testing business

3. I actually got my job pretty easily. It's at EA in Baton Rouge. I basically applied online, they gave me a call and set up an interview. And today they offered me the job. Yeah I know, I can actually get payed to blaze and play video games:yay:

4. dude...a fucking game tester...do i even need to say it?

5. made me lol.

To the OP, just do some soul searching. Walk over to a park, squat down, meditate. No one finds your happiness but you

6. I am in a college right now and it was originally for video game development, not my major, but that was the career I as shooting towards. After I realized that I enjoy video games as entertainment, not compiling them, I decided to apply at a school I wanted

This school is actually a "downgrade" from my current uni, or so it looks like that on paper, but this school also requires internships to graduate and I saw the students working in the classrooms and its sooo hands on. Granted I will need to take my fair share of courses, but I am headed in the right direction now.

- Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

7. Yeah, I don't want to be a game tester forever. But as for a college part time job, I don't think I could find a better one. I mean, come on, seriously? I feel SO lucky to get this job. Why would I leave right when I get it?

But I do need to do some soul searching. I know I want to go to the school in New Orleans, the question is when? Hopefully some heavy meditation tomorrow will help.

8. i always thought a game tester was a really shitty job... don't you just have to repeatedly play short sections of games all day looking for glitches or bugs?

as for your situation, i dunno man. i got a friend who is moving away simply because "he doesn't like this town," and i think it's kinda stupid. granted, he's one of my few friends so of course i'm sort of being jealous i guess cause i don't want him to leave.

9. So you don't want to play FIFA '11 or Madden '11 before they come out (your preferences on games)? Haha I'm just messing, but overall, yeah it's a shitty job. All you do is get assigned to a certain task each shift and you try and find any bugs. For example, you can work a 3 hour, 6 hour, and 9 hour shift. So yeah, it is "crappy" in a sense, but for someone like me, a college student who enjoys smoking, playing video games and doesn't have a car, this job is what I call heaven. Seriously.

And as far as what you said, I agree that leaving because I don't like the city is stupid. But that's really not the main reason. Don't get me wrong, that is one of the reasons but not the top one. My main reason is the academics. The other school would get me well connected to a society that I want to work with in the future. I want to develop a career in New Orleans, and I feel that the school I want to transfer to is the key to developing that career. But then again, I dunno:confused:

10. yea i wasn't trying to be a dick say your jobs sucks or anything... gotta do what it takes to get the bank. man i work in a factory--i got no room to be talkin down other peoples' jobs anyway. :p i was just sayin cause some people seem to think game tester is like a dream job, but i always thought it'd just make me hate playing video games.

anyway, maybe just stay where you are now for two years. knock out all the more "basic" classes that you gotta take when you start college, and then transfer over to the school you prefer for your junior year or something.

11. Move back to NO. Being a game tester will suck dick. You'll have absolutely no fun and will be treated like shit. Your average day will consist of running game characters into walls for 5 hours, then report what happens, then repeat.

12. Do what's best for you in the long run. Think 5, 10 years out. If you think New Orleans is your real future, don't let the cool job you got now hold you back from that. Also if that girl stopped talking to you, then forget about her. There's plenty of others out there.

13. Yeah, it's not that I want to keep this job, it's just that it's my only means of making money. I would have to search forever to get a job in NO. Why would I go back when I have what I need. I got this job primarily to pay for a car. Although it will be a little redundant, my friend (who has been working there for about 3 weeks) says he gets a different task everyday. He works on NHL '11 and I want to be working on that as well.

I really do think it's the best decision to stay here for another year. I was so pissed off about everything earlier that I didn't see any good in what I had, I just wanted to move on and forget about it.

Thanks for all the input, I made my decision to transfer next year (junior year), keep this job (even if it may be shitty, I guess I will find out on thursday), and yes I've already forgotten about that girl. Even though it still kills me to think about her. Possibly because I thought she was the hottest girl I've had a chance with and it seems that now no hot girls are interested. But of course when we were seeing each other there were like 3 other girls that I could tell wanted to hook up with me. Life is funny that way