http://www.heraldnews.com/news/x655469161/Marijuana-decriminalization-bill-goes-to-R-

Discussion in 'General' started by Bubba Fett, Jun 19, 2012.

1. #1 Bubba Fett, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2012
    :smoke:

R.I. Assembly passes marijuana decriminalization bill - Fall River, MA - The Herald News

PROVIDENCE —
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \tRhode Island is only a governor’s signature away from joining its neighbors, Massachusetts and Connecticut, as a state where the possession of small amounts of marijuana is no longer a criminal offense.
    \tThe bill passed in the House by a vote of 50-24 Tuesday night. Its companion bill also passed in the Senate.
    \tThe legislation decriminalizes the possession of less than one ounce of marijuana.
    \tMarijuana will still remain a controlled substance, but should the measure get Gov. Lincoln Chafee’s approval, adults caught in possession of the drug for the first time would no longer be subject to arrest.
    \tSuch offenses would be subject to drug confiscation and $150 fines similar to those imposed on speeders. The bill further stipulates that someone caught with marijuana three times in 18 months will be subject to arrest and up to 30 days in prison. People caught driving under the influence of the drug would remain subject to arrest.
    \tRight now, a person caught in possession of marijuana faces up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $500.
    \tRep. John G. Edwards, D-Tiverton, Portsmouth, R.I., sponsor of the House version of the bill, said its purpose is “alleviate” the impact of “youthful indiscretions” on one’s criminal record.
    \tA drug charge on a background check can impact a person’s student loan eligibility and ability to work in certain fields, like health care and education.
    \tThe bill won’t wipe clean the records of those with prior convictions, but “would end the issue, hopefully,” said Edwards, who also serves as vice chair of the House Committee on Labor.
    \tIn the bill, minors caught with marijuana must go through a drug awareness program and perform community service. Individuals caught possessing more than one ounce will still be subject to arrest — possession of large amounts no longer constitutes what Edwards considers “personal use.”
    \tMarijuana has been legal for medical use in the state for some time. Still, a bill to decriminalize it was defeated in the General Assembly last year. This time, Edwards said, the bill has broad bipartisan support.
    \tRep. Dan Gordon, R-Tiverton, Portsmouth, expressed his support for the measure, noting that the state’s Adult Correctional Institute is over capacity.
    \t“There are currently over 300 people in intake,” Gordon said. “It’s a step in the right direction … pulling back government from making choices for people. It’s an overreach for government. That shouldn’t be a function for government.”

Read more: R.I. Assembly passes marijuana decriminalization bill - Fall River, MA - The Herald News

2. great title.

3. Yea, not sure what happened there. Musta been hella blazed. I'm surprised that noo one even commented. I mean, just cause I fucked up the title doesnt mean the article isnt good news.. but whatevs. Just wanted to share the good news.

4. every day i see more articles about states speaking up about this. right on :smoke: