HTML Line Spacing Question

Discussion in 'General' started by BryanDaniel, May 27, 2010.

1. Hi everyone!
    So I started noticing that a lot of my longer posts tend to appear very dense, which in turn makes them almost unreadable (or a huge pain in the butt to read.) I'd prefer to be able to post some of my longer stories/comments/etc at like 1.5 spacing rather than single spacing. I'm pretty sure line spacing isn't an option under all the other format options (and I'll feel really stupid if it is and I somehow missed it), so I was wondering if someone could please explain how to me how this can be done. I tried googling it but wasn't really getting any helpful results. A clear explanation or link to one would be highly appreciated!
    Thank you!

Peace:smoke:

2. I've been wondering about this as well. Meh, I just use paragraphs.

3. Yeah for sure. Sometimes paragraphs isn't even enough though. Sometimes it'll be so long that just looking at it is overwhelming despite indentations that are supposed to indicate some form of breaking it up in more manageable fragments of story. I'd love an answer to this since every answer on google was either different or just did not make sense to me. I'm not too code savvy.

4. Writing posts on forums isn't like writing an essay, you don't need a beginning middle and end to each "paragraph".

I just separate my posts into thoughts and put spaces where I think it helps to break them up - ya dig?

Sometimes I put every sentence as a new line, sometimes it takes me a few more sentences to get the thought across. Either way, you shouldn't need 1.5 spacing to get your thoughts across in a coherent manner.

5. CSS line-height property

6. i

to

this

it covers more surface area, therefore increasing your chance of being read

7. Oh absolutely Pete! I totally get what you're saying. However I think the first thing I'd like to point out is that we may be interpreting the word "paragraph" differently. I meant to use the word "paragraph" very loosely in this context. Hopefully you don't believe that I view every post I make as a formal assignment haha. I definitely feel that I have a pretty good sense of how and when to break up my ideas in an appropriate manner. I feel like I have a pretty good sense of where a full blank line may be appropriate to separate two entirely different thoughts, whereas a new paragraph may signify a change in ideas while still addressing one overarching theme. As far as the line spacing goes, that is not supposed to have anything to do with my ability to write coherently. but rather to merely improve the legibility of lengthier posts.

For example, if I am posting in the "Real Life Stories" section, I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up writing a full blown essay. (Again I am using "essay" loosely to describe a lengthy post rather than as some sort of assignment being scrutinized and graded by fellow blades.) The reason I asked this question in the first place was because in my last post in "Real Life Stories," someone alluded to the density of my post and actually reformat it for me in his comment. After reading his post I realized that not only was it easier to read if the typing was spread out a little more, but it was in fact more pleasing to read. I just thing that people would rather read something a little longer and spaced out than a bunch of words packed tight. It's just overwhelming to look at and easy to get lost (especially when half the people reading are blitzed out of their minds :smoking:)

Oh and as far as requesting 1.5 spacing, I realize that that number may come across as being funny as it is so specific. The only reason I asked for that as apposed to double spacing is because I thought double spacing was too much. If I was going to double space I might as well start leaving every other line blank. The point of this is not to take up space, just to give readers a bit of an easier time.

Though you didn't give me the answer I was looking for, I very much value your opinion, and appreciate that you took the time to post!
    Peace:smoke:

Thank you so much! Remind me to rep you for the help!

Kinda just looks like you left a full line between each word hahaha :p
    But on a serious note, unfortunately this is something I was trying to avoid. Like I said, it's not about being seen, it's about leaving a post that can actually be read.