HTG Supply Grow Kits?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ColdBecoming, Aug 31, 2011.

1. #41 Tonytony5944, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2011
    this would be awesome for the inside of that tent ( or closet)..[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FXWvnuyLSI&feature=related]home made air conditioner - YouTube[/ame]

according to the guy 8 liters of frozen water lasts 6 hours. so thats not bad so long as you make sure you've got enough water..during the dark period you could refreeze the water and put it in before you turn the light on.

2. as mentioned (more than once) heat "will" be an issue. probably the reason for the low price of the kit, is the un-vented hood. some companies probably have a large inventory of outdated equipment they're trying to move. don't get sucked in! overall, the price is awesome. but the details are what "will" bite you in the ass. spend a few extra bucks and do it right the first time. un-vented hoods are dinosaurs that are pretty much of no use....

3. yes this 'out of date equipment' is what made me worried..more specifically, the nutrients...
    Is there a chart time-lining nutrient degradation percentage over time after expiration of shelf life?

4. No way to know from here, only you can answer that by actual trial-and-error. I can tell you, though, that in general removing the heat is a better solution than trying to allow the heat but mix it with a lot of cold air.

?? Such as what?

I seriously doubt that would light-proof the closet. Plus, it has to be something you can go in and out of daily. You can cut holes in the door itself to run ducting through, or if you don't want to cut the original door get a cheap door of the same size and cut holes in it, put it on and store the original door somewhere, then you can put the original back on later.

At least you are thinking it through before pulling the trigger, a lot more than a lot of folks do. Definitely get it all planned out before dropping any coin on equipment.

5. You're right, I didn't even take that into consideration.

alright I'll check it out, but it may just be a lost cause at this point.

I'm aware that it will be an issue, I'm not blindly denying that. I was under the assumption that I was going to do it at least somewhat right with this kit, but I'm thinking I'm going to just piece together my own grow setup once I'm able to raise more money. I'm still going to have to address the ventilation issue when the time comes.

I've heard of smaller a/c units, ones that use ice and other shit to cool, kinda like the one Tony posted in the video.

I read somewhere that if you get the 5 or 6 mil plastic sheeting it is light proof. If there was plastic sheeting attached with velcro or something, I don't think it would be difficult to get through everyday. I'm still considering the door situation, or I may end up removing the door and using a tent inside the closet with ventilation running through the open doorway.

absolutely. I want to plan it right. I don't even have all of the money to order it yet. I'm glad I got some advice from the city before I bought it though :smoke:

6. When you get something that thick then yes it will be lightproof, much like a tent wall at that point, but you won't find mylar that thick. And light leaking around the edges still is an issue.

What about hanging a curtain rod inside the closet above the door, mounted well above the top of the door frame and extending a couple of feet to either side of it, then hang a heavy black curtain or blanket on the curtain rod so that it overlaps the door on all four sides from the inside.

7. if you put in a plywood piece and cut it to fit tight you can add a squirrel type fan that is pretty powerful to suck the heat out of the closet. they work well if you get the correct cfm. you will also have to ensure you have a source of fresh air intake....

8. The thread I read that mentions the 5 mil thickness is enough to block light said that white plastic sheeting with black on the back is the best. BUT, your curtain idea sounds good, however wouldn't the curtain allow for more (unwanted) airflow/air leaks into the closet? There is plenty of room in the closet for the curtain to extend past the doorway to ensure the curtain is lightproof.

That sounds like it would be hard to get in and out of the closet, and at that point I think a new door with holes cut would be a better solution. The squirrel fan would just blow the exhaust right into my room, so I think I would rather invest in some ducting and inline fans coupled with a carbon filter, and run the ducting to the nearest window.