HTG Supply Grow Kits?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ColdBecoming, Aug 31, 2011.

1. If I were to order the kit it will be direct from HTG Supply's website, unless for some reason I find it for much cheaper on ebay (doubted). If I get the tent then I can probably set it in my room instead of my closet and would definitely have an easier time venting it. I'm not set on the non ventilated hood, it's just what comes with the package deal. Sometimes on HTG's site you can select options for upgrading what comes in the package, but this package doesn't have any upgrade options. Which also means I'd have to drop full price for another air cooled hood, which already sounds expensive to me.

2. I'm not sure exactly how I want to start my grow. If I just buy the kit without any additional hoods or ventilation, I can afford to buy some good genetics, and I'm considering going autoflowers for the easy factor. I don't know anyone else who grows so I can't get clones from anyone else to start, and I'm not sure if I'm going to clone my own plants. I think I would rather buy new seeds for each grow cycle since I'm interested in growing a lot of different strains rather than cloning and keeping one strain going. If my funds don't allow for buying seeds, I have tons of bagseed to use of course, and then after my first harvest I'll buy good genetics.

3. I just say that because sea of green is a quicker grow method, maybe a week of vegging to get some decent roots then flip the switch and flower... popping nine seeds over and over might get a bit pricey.Id probably run the bagseed for a while ( it can still be bomb), save up for a cloner, then buy a cloner before buying good genitics. Its awesome to be able to buy 1 good fem seed mother it and take 9 clone cuts, flower them, then repeat over and over.... id love to see some sea of green pictures!

4. Yeah I have plenty of bagseed to where I could run that sea of green at least two or three times. How much is a cloning setup usually?

5. You could honestly make one yourself for probably under 50 bucks...if you are handy. Im lazy so i just bought one that cost 300 and came with a gel kit and other stuff... but its simply a sturdy 5 gal tuberware(10-15 bucks) with a fully submerg pump ( 20 bucks) and some nozzles that spray it mist like all around ( .25 cent a piece at grow store) and some plastic tubing to direct water around ( 10 dollars worth of pvc or something similar would do it). Look up the EZ cloner, and then figure out if you could build the same thing.... im sure you could.

[​IMG]

the second air pump is useless... i dont even use mine lol. Just the underwater pump is the only thing needed.

6. Thanks for all the advice dude. I'm still not sure what I'm going to buy, but this 275$ deal is reallllyyyyy enticing. I may just keep trying to save up to buy a better setup with extensive ventilation. Or just wait a while until I can move, because I don't plan on staying in this apartment for long.

7. #27 Doc-J, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
    HTG sells on ebay, often cheaper than on their site and with free shipping to boot. I saved about $32 plus shipping cost on my fan and filter buying them on ebay from htg. They both got here three days from ordering. I just used buy it now, then called a gave them my credit card because I refuse to use paypal. Their ebay ID is htgsupply.

Pay close attention, they will list the same items multiple times at different pricing. Sometimes it is the same price as retail, sometimes cheaper. Sometimes with free shipping, sometimes not.

I got this filter, priced at $89.95 plus shipping on the site for $68.75 with free shipping

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-GrowBright-Pure-Flow-6-Carbon-Filter.asp

And this fan that list for $100.95 for $89.95 with free shipping

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-GrowBright-6in-High-Velocity-Inline-Fan.asp

If you figure in shipping from the website, I saved $51 just by using ebay to order from the same company. Gotta love deals if your on a budget.

8. I know it would add to the cost, but I do advise you get an air-cooled hood or cool tube, you could have unsolvable heat issues in that closet. The bulb gets hot. I also suggest getting a digital ballast. While that will cost more, at least you can get a regular MH bulb instead of a conversion bulb.

9. #29 Doc-J, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

Most definitely. Although I am using a smaller space which amplifies heat problems, these 400w's put off serious heat. I know not as bad as a 600 or 1k, but they run pretty dang hot. I dont see how you could get by without venting one in some way without putting it in an area that is too big for the light pattern. I need a cooled hood, but managed to get it under control for this grow. Next time and tent and hood is most definitely in order. Maybe a 600w to boot.

10. what if I were to rig up my a/c unit to blow into the room, do you think that would even out temps enough?

11. Considering the price of iguana juice at 1L for grow and veg phase is about 90 dollars..Id say you'd need the grace of god to be able to piece together a complete setup like this for the price thats offered.

That being said.. I've used both iguana juice and mother earth super tea.. they both are really great sets of nutes. But I think that iguana juice may be the better one (not based on the price..of which the super tea is much cheaper)

I've also been looking into this grow kit..Im gonna get it and try it out.. if it fails me.. I'll sell it at triple the price since people around here wouldn't really know much about just how much it really takes to grow..all the weed here comes from mexico unless its dodo..and even then..I can count on my fingers how many people actually grow such a way in this city..

12. Thanks for the info on the iguana juice dude. Any suggestions for feeding? I know some people suggest using 1/2 strength FF nutes throughout because they tend to run hot.

I'm still unsure of what I'm going to do, but if I can figure out a good way to make sure my temps are acceptable then I'll get it too. I'm in the same situation as far as dank - either you get mexican dirt, or you get charged out the ass for the good stuff. I figure I'll just grow my own and know that it's good weed.

13. Actually I've followed the directions from day one for both and the plants have never had a problem with em. the Iguana juice is 4ml per liter, and the super tea is about 7 to 15ml per liter.

I've never experienced yellow leaves, curling tips, drooping leaves (unless I wasn't able to wet soil on time) and I used nothing but the nutes.. no homebrew type additives like things you could buy at a supermarket that are inadvertently good for your plants..

as for keeping the bulb cool.. I already had the thought of using a computers liquid cooling system, but nitrogen based instead of liquid.. Im working on the technicality of the rubber hosing not being able to handle the heat put off by the bulb.. but If I can reach a theory about making this work I'll let you know..(although because its an unfounded idea I wouldn't recommend testing it =x)

14. You used full strength nutes straight out the gate? Like from germination on?

I wouldn't even begin to know how to modify a liquid cooling system to work for the light like that, I'm not very savvy with electrical wires and such. I'm going to look into different ways to utilize an air conditioner to cool temps in the room if I decide to go ahead and get this grow kit.

15. well..after the plants were about 2 weeks old..since I knew that the soil I had put them in was the worst possible soil to use for growing ever.. still came out without a hitch though..but yeah..full strength all the way.. didn't notice any problems..they grew inches a day and never looked unhealthy in any way..

oh well if you have an ac..I'd say just tape some ducting to the vent and run it directly to the light...

the problem Im gonna have is that I have central air.. I will also be doing this in my closet..however I have dual 'window shutter' type doors that have gaps in the individual wood bars..so heat escaping wouldn't be a problem..however the noticeable increase in temps will suck..I need to find a way to cool air thats quiet and isn't a huge drain on electricity..

to be honest..you'd be surprised how well a little 4 inch fan from walmart can cool a bulb.. I had a halogen running 24/7 once (for regular lighting purposes)..shit put out soo much heat I put a little 4 inch fan on it..that little bugger kept the bulb cool to the touch from a little over a foot away..

16. 1.5 CF will fill 3 bags if you are lucky you will need more soil. and i like 100 watts per plant

17. awesome, I'm thinking this combo of FFOF and the Iguana Juice will produce some awesome buds.

I have a window unit a/c that's near enough to the closet to use it for cooling, but I was thinking I could get some sort of other smaller hand a/c unit to cool inside the closet itself. One of the main problems is the placement of the door. Honestly I should probably just say fuck it and take the door down and that way I could run ducting to the nearest window. I'd have to come up with some solution to light proof the doorway then, I could hang mylar or some sort of plastic as a ghetto "door" and run ducting through the top and have some passive intake/negative pressure as well. Buttttt, that also means I have to invest in a better hood, inline fan(s) and a carbon scrubber, which could easily double my expenses I think. It might take some time before I'm able to fully set up this closet...

18. the HTG site says that the 1.5cf of soil will fill all 9 of the 2 gallon bags, is that not right? well I was planning on only doing 4 plants max my first go around, so that's 100w per plant :smoke:

19. The shipping is going to be like 100$ at least for all that stuff.

20. $342 is the final price with shipping to my zipcode. not bad..still not bad..It'll be a little while till I buy it but eh..