HTG Supply grow kits the real deal?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by cpoerun81, Jan 7, 2015.

1. #1 cpoerun81, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2015
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1420656472.521788.jpg

I'm going to be a first time grower and wanted to know if the HTG 250w HPS kit is good. The price is fantastic, so it gives me pause as to whether the quality is acceptable?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. #2 jaycrilla, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2015
    I just got the led small tent kit and its working out good they even gave me a 135 watt led instead of the 90 that the kit has in it for the money they are worth it my plant is loving its new home

3. Good. I saw some negative comments here and there, but for the most part HTG seems very well received.

4. #4 Mad_Prophessor, Jan 8, 2015
    I have had good results with their tents.  They are far from top of the line, but will work better than a lot of options out there.  Their prices are nice and offer a good product for the money.  I have read about gassing issues, but have not encountered them myself.  To be safe, set the tent up a few days in advance and give it time to air out.  

I would not buy a kit though.  I don't really see the savings.  Pick and choose other products they have in the same catagories and you will be happier.  For example, the hangers in that kit suck and the booster fan does too.  That type of fan you can buy at home depot for $12.

Buy their tent and use their format of what you get.  Get a better light.  Get your own dirt and pots.  For $400 you can set yourself up well as that tent is only $140 without the other crap that they over-charge you on.  

Buy that tent and this light kit you will be a lot happier.  
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grow-Light-System-400w-Blockbuster-6-Hood-Lumatek-Ballast-Plantmax-HPS-MH-/120839501458?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item1c22987692

Grab yourself some of the ratchet hangers, and a filter and fan combo and an inline for the hood and be done.  I realize it is a little more of an investment, but you will be a lot happier.  Magnetic ballasts are loud and will drive you crazy!

5. #5 killset, Jan 8, 2015
    I've ordered from htg and have no problem w/ ordering from them again. Decent prices, fast shipping, great customer service. If you order from them on eBay they send a 5% off offer to order from them directly the next time. Not that 5% is a lot but keeps a couple of your dollars in your pocket. You may not be getting top of the line, but you're not paying top of the line prices either, nice mid range stuff.

Attached Files:

6. Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll definitely consider going at it piecemeal to save some $$$.
    Now, would it be better to get the 400w or stay with the 250w.
    My short term goal is the have a perpetual grow with two plants. I want to have enough to supply me, my wife, and occasionally my Father and Brother in-law.... Would 400w be overkill?
    I'm also concerned with electricity costs.

7. There is a different quality level between what they sell from their (HTG) retail store and their Ebay store.  The Ebay stuff is a little less quality.

More light = more production.  I think 400 is a good entry level light.  If you get a 250, you will wish you had a 400.  When you get the 400, you will wish you had a 600.  The end decision goes to you, but I would start with a good 400 and the Lumatek ballasts are top of the line IMO.

8. Yeah... I was worried that once I got a few grows under my belt the Id want the 400w anyway. You might have convinced me to skip the 250w all together.

9. Just skip it.  YOu wont regret buying a bigger lamp.  That kit I showed you is spot on for your needs.  I would suggest just using an Eye Hortilux super HPS and not even buy the MH bulb, but they are spendy.  The hood and the ballast are what you should get tho IMO.

10. #10 jumper420, Jan 8, 2015
    I love my 400watt hps ftom htg and wish I could add another one to my op

11. What makes the Eye Hortilux super HPS the bulb to get?

12. HTG customer service is top-notch. I got a failed ballast from them, their brand, and they immediately sent me a new one as soon as they got the e-mail. Very cool of them, they look out for their customers.

If I was you I would buy it directly from them if you can, even if it costs a few extra bucks it's worth the peace of mind knowing that they fully back up their equipment.

13. #13 killset, Jan 8, 2015
    I've ordered the exact same filter from eBay as I have directly from htg for my backup fans. There was no difference in quality. Actually were pretty nice for the price. They both come from the exact same place. They're just a big warehouse I believe, same shipping address anyway. Htg doesn't make the filters they just sell them as with a lot of the stuff they sell. Name brand ferts, they offer different brands of fans, ballast, not just there own, pretty much everything online as they do on eBay. Just eBay gets their greedy hand on it so htg would rather have you order directly. That's why they offer the 5% discount.

14. It is a full spectrum bulb and can be used for veg.

15. I am talking more about their tents.  I have encountered two different versions of the same tent when purchasing from Ebay or direct.

16. I agree for sure, I bet they just get ahold of whatever they can cheap from China or somewhere for the store brand stuff and no name tents, but that's expected

17. Would you guys have any input on putting together a smaller setup for clones and seeding?
    What lights would be good and have value?
    How important is ventilation... ect?

18. hey man i just really wanted to comment because i bought the super closet grow tent last year and its sort of the same thing. 

i felt just like you, i didn't want to buy everything separately, but now i think i would of. 

i paid about 1500 for the 600w 2x4 tent. i don't regret it but i could of saved like 400-500 bucks if i got it all separately. 

i think if you have the money and want the convenience factor then go for it but you can use the extra money to get a water chiller, or a legit ph pen or something.

if you do buy it separately i would go hydro as well, its just better and its not expensive at all. 

you should cop:

2x4 tent - 200
    600w air cooled light - 300
    hydro/thermometer
    build your own DWC bucket for like 20 bucks
    nutrients
    ph/ppm pen
    2 6 inch inline fans
    carbon filter

i think thats basically it. 

sorry for the long response i hope it makes sense.

and gorilla tents are legit just so you know. its thick as fuck and definitely a quality tent

19. Thanks man I appreciate the knowledge.

20. Gorilla tents are sweet, but they cost a fortune.  They are nice, but way too much for an initial investment.  After all, you could grow with just white painted walls and not a tent at all.