hps... will this work?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by its_420, Jan 23, 2007.

1. i went to the hardware store today just to look around and i saw some high pressure sodium lights that are smaller than most ive seen in growing guides. can someone (experienced growers) tell me if this will work, if i need to get a couple, if its not worth it. please let me know what you guys think...

ok well im kinda stupid when it comes to computers so i cant get the pic URL or whatever that is... sorry.

the light is a clear glass, high pressure sodium, 70 watt. it requires a ballast. if u can tell me how to put my picture on this post i would really apprieciate it. i have it on my computer in my pics... help pls.

2. I personally dont recommend buying ur lights at home depot unless your an electric engineer that can wire lights and stuff, home depot by my house didnt really have prewired HPS/MH ballast and sockets.

I recommend going to www.htgsupply.com
    have cheap systems.

3. Yes,that light will work. How many you need will depend on how many plants you want to grow.

Uploading Pictures: Before you upload pictures you need to make sure they are the correct size. To resize pictures go to Paint (loaded on with Windows) and select the picture you wish to resize. Then click "image" then "stretch Skew" and resize at 10% increments. Don't forget to hit "save". Then click the reply button at the bottom of the thread you want to load the pictures on to and go to the bottom where it says "manage attachments". You can then upload the pictures you want.

4. i cant attach an attachment and how am i supposed to find out the pics url?

5. when you are replying to the message, there is a symbol that looks like a mountain and a son on the top toolbar. click that, then enter the url (thats the web address of the pic).

6. so this is what i was talking about. does it need a balast or can i just plug it in to the regular light socket? and will it be enough for 1-4 plants? just a small personal grow...

Attached Files:

7. also thanks very much to all that told me how to do that ... sorry it took so long.

8. does anyone know if this requires a ballast or what? i could really use the help... thanks

9. Yes it will require a ballest, atuly I noticed on the box it mentions somthing about the ballast. Take a look dude and make sure you know what your doing when you wire that little 70w up.

10. Yo man.

All HID lights [hps, mh etc] need a ballast. That is the problem with buying that at the Depot. I guess they don't come with ballasts there. Also, 70 watts for 4 plants will not be enough. Figure a bare minimum of 15 watts per square foot during veg and 30 watts per square foot during flower. A small plant in an 8 inch pot for instance might take up a square foot. Therefore, with that little light you might be able to do two small plants all the way through. Consider going to http://www.htgsupply.com/ for your lighting needs. Their lights come with ballasts and everything necessary to get it glowing.

11. i honestly dont think that light will cover 2 plants, it would have to be 4-6 inches away to get good coverage on just 1 plant, i think u could do 1 plant max in flower with that light. They sell ballasted lights in the security/utility lighting aisle. Think they have 100w or 150w i dont remember the highest... they are around $70, then u have to buy a heavy duty extension cord to wire it. Thats about $10. thats $80...or u could pick up a 250w hps from htgsupply.com they are like $140 with shipping, pre-wired and everything, so u know its safe.

12. hey thanks every one, looks like i know what i got to do now. WHEN IN DOUBT ... ORDER IT OFF THE INTERNET. thanks again guys have a great day.