HPS vs. LED

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by maxcity, Feb 24, 2013.

1. I highly doubt a 90W panel will be as good as a 400W HPS... 150W HPS equivalent max IMO

I got a solarflare 200W and people compare it to a 250W HPS in terms of yields.

So if you can use the HPS, do it.

2. that's what it says on the link

3. The 400 watt HPS will be 4X more powerful (yield more) than any 90 watt lamp no matter what type.

4. Heya Rumple good to see you are well? I hope you have had a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

peace
    "V"

5. Thanks for the info appreciate it! :D

6. Listen ^^ this guy knows all!

7. A 90w UFO wont grow jack and it did you'd have a small plant. A 400w HPS on the other hand will grow you a nice number of good sized plants.

I use LEDs to grow with used to use HID lights but if you go LED you gotta spend the cash and have to have high wattage LEDs to achieve the same result.

Dont fall prey to there advertising.

8. the HPS will be better.....90w LED one plant.....not as good.

9. LED vs. MH for veg would be the best comparison. I have t5's, LED (90w ufo and 240w 7band), 2 400 hps + MH, 3 600hps + MH....

In my humble opinion, My 240w LED will destroy a 400w MH in veg, and bush up 100x's more without any top/fim/lst... I'd go as far as to say my 90w ufo would be on par with a 400W MH on veg.

ONLY VEG!!!!..... they don't flower worth a damn and the MH would probably out flower the LED's no matter what.

My point is LED's have a niche and they can be used to increase yields if used in veg.

10. Which would you use for supplemental side lighting with the HPS for flowering? T5 or LED? Sounds like you've tried all the combinations. Thanks.

11. #14 Private Stalk, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2013
    Red (flower) spectrum t5's for supplementing in flower. LED's do not have any place in my flower tent. :devious:

In my experience LED's grow shit leafier in flowering. Now the best shit I ever did had a 250W MH rotate around the side for lower/side lighting... But when I used LED + HPS was not impressed at all.

In veg though, man you just can't go wrong with a proper LED. That is why they are such a let down because everyone gets excited at the results,... until flower :(

12. What LED lamp should I use to replace a 400w hps in for veg & flower?

13. I'd say something like the Solarstorm or one of Blackdog LEDs, but to replace a 400W HPS plan on paying 1000$+ for a LED light.

14. I think I'm going with a SolarStorm 400w for my 3.5 x 3.5 tent

15. Good Choice, I've heard nothing but good reviews on this light, and I own the Solarflare 200W and love it.

16. Thanks Appreciate the Info, do you think that 200w would be sufficient?

17. it's good for my 2x2 cabinet, but will probably lack a bit for a 3.5 x 3.5.

You could always do a mix of HPS and LED, I would use a 250W HPS with the 200W solarflare in a 3.5 x 3.5.

I was thinking of maybe adding a 250W of 150W HPS to my grow room