HPS ventilation question

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by WanderingWolfe, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Hey blades, so Ive been gathering equipment and setting up my design and i have a question.

My basic plan is, 2 SLH seeds, SCROG, in a 2.5' x 3' x 5'(h) grow box with a 400w HPS air tube hood with dimmable ballast.

My plan is to run a 6" duct fan with carbon scrubber atached to the outside top of box. leading from the cool tube (with the other side of cool tube being passive taking air in from box.

My Question is: IF i have a 5" passive intake hole at the bottom of the cab, would this allow for sufficent ventilation as far as temperature/odor goes? my main concern is temperature. I probably will not run the ballast at 100%

Again this translates too 6" duct fan and carbon filter leading from cool tube for exhaust and a 5" passive intake hole at bottom of cab.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :smoke:

2. I am currently setting up a smaller grow aswell.. Just about the same dimensions.

How many cfm is your fan.

I'm debating running a 190cfm or a 450 cfm, I have both so it might end up being trial and error.

I'm wondering about the size of the passive intake hole aswell ???

3. I've heard everywhere from 1x to 3x area of your fan

so 6" fan = pi*3^2, so pi*9 or ~30 sq inch opening to ~90 sq in

4. Thanks!

I'll start with 1x and see how the fan reacts.. If need be I can go to 2x or 3x

5. Thanks! yeah ill probably start with the passive intake a little bigger than my fan. i didnt have one picked out yet. but ill probably go with a 6in inline duct fan pushing 240cfm. according to the heating calculations in ventilations faq, that should be enough.

Does anyone have experience running the kind of air setup ill be using?

Again thats a 6" duct fan pushing 240cfm and carbon filter exausting out the top from a line leading from the cool tube for exhaust and a 5" passive intake hole at bottom of cab.

6. #6 420patient, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2013
    Is the 240cfm fan a duct booster or inline cintrifugal fan? cause if it's the booster it won't be enough pulling thru the carbon filter and hood it will be to much of a load imo. Implanning almost the same setup and my tent has a 2 20x8" vent slots i think you'll need 2 6". Im gonna go with a 400cfm fan in this order.. Filter> cooltube> fan>exaust im gonna open one of the 20x8 slots i think that will be enough. In your set-up id sugjest atleast a 400cfm inline fan and 2 6" intake holes.