HPS v MH veg results

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Calchin1994, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Hi guys,

Would like your thoughts and experience opinions here! I have tried a few grows with Metal halide bulbs, and a few with HPS.

Everyone raves about MH for veg, yet every time I have vegd with the MH, the plants have grown taller, and the internode space has actually been further apart than the HPS?!? let alone the stretch being much more with the MH, and the internode gaps being huge?!?

What's your thoughts on this, going to stick with HPS from now on! Thanks

2. Theres no science that proves that any of the two bulbs are better than eachother, i find that MH actually gives smaller internode spacing with less effort trying to dial in environment.

However, HPS is more energy efficient than MH. Ive vegged with both bulbs more than once and personally prefer a HPS for veg over MH.. my reasons are -

HPS more efficent.
    In a dialed in environment you can acheive the same node spacing as an MH.
    No need to swap out bulbs

Sent from my SM-G950F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I don't think the type of light used solely determines those kinds of reactions, sure the type of light used does contribute to those reactions, but there are so many of things that matter more than that, like the light wattage, the light distance, light spectrum, light duration, good or bad water habits, the environment (temps, humidity, airflow, etc), and the most important one, plant genetics! But I will add this, in general terms, through the years I have found that any good t5 rig will produce tighter nodes than any other light sources I have compared t5(s) to!

4. We use HPS for flower and MH for veg. We get better vegetative growth with a MH bulb. I have done side by side tests and that is what i found. When flowered the plants that were under MH for veg had a larger yield in the end. It was about 15-20% if i recall. Also not all MH bulbs are created equally, the distance, wattage, and other environmental conditions will make this vary.

5. Ive done the same side by sides twice. And i saw absolutely no difference in yield. The plants under MH did veg slightly better but didnt make the height i wanted before flip. The plants under hps did but didnt have the same stem structure.

I really think its down to preference, especially when environment is dialed in and on point.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Grasscity Forum mobile app