hps or mh for autoflower?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by branman79, Aug 9, 2013.

1. guess im gettin the apollo 400 watt digital ballast it comes with a mh bulb and a hps bulb. im planning on doing autoflower... so if i was gona use just one of these bulbs, which one should i use?

2. use the mh when the plants are younger and once they start to flower switch to the HPS mate....

3. For autos using different colored light for veg and flowering doesn't really matter. Ideally you'd want a bluer light for veg so MH lights and a redder light for flowering so HPS or Halogen. Below is a good resource for lighting. Hope it helps. 

http://grow-marijuana.com/lights

4. can i get by with just one the whole way thru since im gona be growing autos?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. #5 twotokeengine, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013
    SWIM used a dual spectrum HPS digital ballast and saw no ill effects. SWIM has not used MH. SWIM has no intention to start using MHs either.

its going to be quite hard to time the switch from veg MH to bloom HPS, unless you know your strain i.e. when it starts flowering get the HPS in. Its all on you brah. no pressure lol.

6. Hps....
    Plant basically start in a flower cycle...

7. Ive ran autos under led, hps, mh..
    Hps should best response.

8. If possible use mh during veg and hps during flower. Not sure why changing a light bulb is so difficult for some.

9. I'd use the metal halide bulb for the first 3-4 weeks, and then once you notice the onset of flowering switch over to the HPS.

10. If you already have both bulbs, why not use them both? As stated above MH in vegetative stage and HPS in flowering.

11. When i did my auto i did MH till i saw some preflowers then i switched to HPS