HPS/MH question?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by kickingharold, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Now i realize they say to use mh for veg and hps for flower. People also say its good to use a mix band of lights. My question is can i run say a mh for 1 weeks then swap out bulb for hps for 1 week throughout grow. Would that make a substantial difference in growth and production?? Or would that just stress the plant from constant change in bands of light?? Has anyone ever tried this before ??? :confused:

2. Noob here, but it sounds like you'd be depriving them of beneficial spectrum 1 week at a time. I was wondering about both at the same time myself, though.

3. KISS..."keep it simple stupid"

I like to follow this logic ^

Basically use your metal halide bulb throughout the veg cycle 2weeks-8weeks doesn't matter, if you're in veg use the mh....when you flip those lights to 12/12, ready to flower...that is when you take out the metal halide and put in the hps light. Then don't touch the hps till you're done growing. :bongin:

4. [quote name='"RooRgle"']KISS..."keep it simple stupid"

I like to follow this logic ^

Basically use your metal halide bulb throughout the veg cycle 2weeks-8weeks doesn't matter, if you're in veg use the mh....when you flip those lights to 12/12, ready to flower...that is when you take out the metal halide and put in the hps light. Then don't touch the hps till you're done growing. :bongin:[/quote]

I run my MH bulb clear up through the 4th week of flowering. I have been getting better results without using the HPS until after the flowers have set and the stretch is finished.

5. thats what i figured. thank you guys for the help. it was more of a hypothetical question more them thats what im going to do question. but you all answered it nicely.

6. I really like thats idea