HPS Lights?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Telebubbies, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Hey. I am new to growing, and I ordered a growing tent and it is on its way. But for the tent, I want to have a 250W HPS light. I have no clue how HPS lights work.. I do not know what a ballast is or how it works. So can I put a 250W tubular HPS light in a normal CFL light socket or what? Do I need some special thing to make it work? If so, what do I need?
    Thanks in advance! :p

2. No yiu need a ballast and a mogul socket.

3. That's the thing. I live in South Africa, and I cannot find ANYONE who sells a ballast. I can only get the HPS light and the socket.. I am looking at voltex.co.za By any chance can you take a look for me to see if there is some other name for it or if there is like a substitute?

4. Without Ballast hps and mh don't work... Just get a LED or CFLs no ballast need just plug hang and grow.

5. A
    Alright. Then what do you recommend? CFL lights or LED lights? I am going to grow 4 plants. I know that for that amount of plants I need about 6 CFL lights or maybe even 7. By the way, the CFL lights I can get is 17W but gives off light equivalent to 75W. Will that still work?
    So basically; if I were to get LED growing lights, what is best for 4 plants? and is a 17W CFL light that is equivalent to 75W work?

6. I would recommend at least a 600w led for 4 plants

hillbillys medical adventure https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?threads/1449778/

7. Apollo Horticulture GLK400GW19 400 Watt Grow Light Digital Dimmable HPS MH System for Plants Gull Wing Hood Set

8. Wai
    Wait, so is LED lights better than CFL lights? And also, I cannot find anything on Amazon that ships to my country..

9. you can't shop ebay there?

10. Yes led is wat better then cfl in my opinion....my buddy grows with them and has excellent plants....go check out his thread "Kevieboy420 family adventure grow "[​IMG]

hillbillys medical adventure https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?threads/1449778/

11. I have checked Ebay.. But pretty much everything has a minimum of $150 shipping and import duties..

12. Okay. What type of LED light is that??

13. oh nice, that link i just put up is even in south africa, johannesberg, i'm not sure how close or far to you that is, but at least you wouldn't have to pay a ton for shipping or taxes or w/e you mentioned.

14. That link that I sent, Takealot, has free shipping all over the country.. But are those lights good..? It says that it is a growing light but then again it says that it is like 18W or something.. And also, that link that you send me, those complete light kits cost around $400. Everything is so damn expensive here.. lol

15. i was trying to do my r to $ conversion in my head, but i forgot the exchange rate, lol.. just kidding of course.. i wasn't sure how much they were in your money to be honest..
    18 watts, i'd stay away from that one, that's not much of anything to be honest..

you could always go with t5's or led.. led can be quite pricey for a quality unit though.. they have the cheap chinese knock off ones that are fairly cheap, but from my limited understanding of leds, they don't have the best reputation around.
    i know a few people who grow using just t5's, and they get nice results.. you can check out my buddy whiteboy2727's grow on here, he's using just t5's and his plants look great..

16. This cannot be right.. I just found a T5 LED in my area for about $15.. It is this: T5 4.8w 24 Leds Led Plant Growth Light Greenhouse Light Aquarium Light Red Light + Blue Light | R228.99 | Flashlights/Torches | PriceCheck SA

17. it doesn't tell you what sort of wattage it is, which is a big red flag to me to steer clear.. i'll try and find you a link for one i was talking about.. obviously the link won't be good for you to buy, just give you an idea of what i'm talking about..