HPS lighting

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by t0ymachine23, Jun 30, 2009.

1. I am trying to gather information for my first grow which is going to be indoors and have been looking at certain lighting fixtures for HPS lighting. A lot of these systems are very expensive and I'm not exactly in the position to be spending a lot of money on heating lamps (I'm broke). Is there any way i could just use regular florescent light bulbs for vegetative stage and flowering stage. I am only going to grow one plant at a time. Another idea was to use a medium to mogul adapter so i could just use HPS bulbs in a regular lamp fixture. Any and all information or suggestions on the topic are appreciated.

-t0y

2. Yo, sure you can just use florescent lights, look into CFL's. I use them for veg but some people flower with them, you will need both kinds of bulbs for veg and for flowering.

Take a look in the grow journals section and see what others are running with.

Good luck

3. You can't use an HPS bulb without its corresponding ballast btw. If you have ~$100, HTGsupply.com sells a 150w hps kit that would be perfect for flowering 1-2 plants.

4. ^^ What he said! I was just about to drop their name.. I bought the 250W HPS system, and you can even get a conversion MH for it too! Mine came with the ballast, reflector, and a 250 MH conversion for under $200.

I WAS gonna go the CFL route, but when you consider how much your gonna spend on MULTIPLE bulbs, fixtures, power stips, splitters, building a reflector, or buying some domes... yer really rackin up the cash. Besides.. yer gonna get MUCH better results with a HID system, than CFL's.

Great... i Hope I didnt just start a CFL vs. HID battle...:eek: