HPS lighting

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Calismoker14, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Unfortunately your links do not work, update?
    I am sure you know most of this but just a quick rundown,

HID's (high intensity discharge) lights, work well, but can be on the tough side of the scale for babies. If this is your first time, I would recommend starting with CFL's or fluro tubes of the 6000-6500K (blue spektrum) temp range for vegitation, then move to an HPS (HID) for flower which is on the red spektrum for flower.

2. Ok now they work, what can I expect to pay for lights? I'm only gonna be growing 2 plants I wanted to try to keep it under $100 for lights. Would 2 of those work? The set-up I linked. This grow is really on a budget

3. Hid isn't any harder to use than cfl, all the same concept just keep the heat away from the girls and get the light as close as you can comfortably. I would use a HPS magnetic core ballast and run a Ceramic Metal Halide bulb, you will not be dissappointed. Way better than HPS.

4. Awesome thanks a lot, I will definitely do this. I appreciate the insight.

5. np. Good luck man.

6. The links are still busted for me.

7. Dang idk man, they work for me. What would cause them to be broken on here? I'm not really great with html..so I wouldnt really know. But anyway the set up is this.

Bayco 10 1/2 In. Brooder Clamp Light With Porcelain Socket and 6 Ft. Cord
    Philips 150 watt Clear High Pressure Sodium Bulb

8. Maybe you can just get some CFL's for vegging and then when you induce flowering you can get the HPS and the other necessary equipment if you are on a budget. Just a suggestion.

9. That's actually a pretty good idea. How many watts per plant would you suggest for veg? Isn't 60 the min? I'm starting with 3 plants, I heard there is a 50/50 chance they will be fem?

10. Yeah something like 60 watts per plant is a rough baseline, somebody else can probably chime in on that. But like you have probably seen before, don't get confused with the "equivalent rating" on the CFL's. Also on the CFL's they'll have their lumen output. I started with about 15,000 lumens with assorted CFL's and a couple of T5 tubes. And yeah that is a general rule, expect about half of your total plants to become female.

11. Yeah I heard about the equivalent rating. But will they also say the true rating for the bulb? And can I have to much light? I was thinking around 300w of cfl during veg for the 3. And then 450w hps during flower.

12. Yeah it will say the true rating on the package. And I don't think there is such thing as too much light as long as temps don't get out of control. But be careful with blasting seedlings and clones with HID lighting. They respond well to CFL lighting at first then they can move up to HID lighting later. But I've used HID lighting for seedlings and clones, just had to damper the intensity a little.

13. Ok. Well if the 3 end up being fem would 450w hps be a good set-up during flower? I was thinking 150w each..just to make sure the ladies get all the light they need.

14. Yes, that would be perfect.

FYIL I dont think its you, I have had this trouble with homedepot before. Its only viewable to the person holding the cookie of the search. What you can do if you want us to see it is pull the page up on your pc, use print screen button to take a screenshot, paste it in paint, then save it as a .jpg and upload it to the thread while doing a post.

15. Yeah I will do that real quickly to show you the set up im gonna be using during flowering.

16. Good luck Calismoker! Get them ladies growin :D.

17. where did you find a 450w HPS, I'm pretty sure those don't even exist do they? if your thinking 400w thats more than likely going to break your bank if your still trying to keep it under $100.

18. No I'm gonna use 3x 150w hps. Here is the set up I was talking about.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]