HPS light sometimes flickers

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by FreeRadical, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Greetings, Well, I have a 400w HPS from Sylvania (GroLux), attached to a ballast for a 600w lamp (I know....). The circuit also contains a capacitor (30 micro farads) and an igniter, and has been connected with care (triple checked it with various diagrams, then checked it two more times :)) by your's truly. Every now and then it flickers - the light, I mean. Other than that it works fine, and the plant are responding well to my heart's delight. Should I be worried about the flickering? I notice it no more than once an hour, maybe two. A second issue: Where I live there are frequently those short nasty power outages - a split second, but that's enough to maker the bulb go out and then start glowing weakly. I don't wait to see what happens, just disconnect everything for 10-15 mins and then reconnect it again. I assume it happened a few times when I was sleeping also, in which case the problem took care of itself. Is there anything I can/should do about it? Will be grateful for any input, FR.

2. surge protector for the power outages. The flickering is because its a 400w bulb in a 600w ballast.

3. I understand. And it's not the end of the world if there is a short power outage, right? The lamp will light back up in a couple of mins? Not sure there is a surge issue here, though there probably is. Thanks, FR.

4. when the hps lamp starts to flicker it is a sign of wearing down. soon it will burn out

5. It's very new, mate. You're scaring me.....

6. Either your bulb or ballast is going out, likely the bulb.

It is a very bad idea to run the wrong wattage bulb in a fixture. I'm not going to get into the details, but I'd shut that down and replace the bulb with one sized for your fixture as soon as possible.

7. i think i had this issue too - i ran a 400 W HPS on the correct ballast, but every now and then the lamp would start flickering almost imperceptibly - like a cheap CFL/fluo.

bulb/ballast were fairly new.

i think it might have something to do with what other appliances run on the same circuit.
    but i never found out for sure.

8. I can't afford a new ballast.... got a 600w lamp (compatible with my ballast) but my closet is 2.3ft x 4ft, and 6ft tall, which is too small for 600 watts, so I've been told. Mainly because of heat issues. It's very hot where I live, though not so humid. I run an AC as long as the light is on, on 24 centigrade.

Troy McLure - did any of your parts die?

Thanks,
    FR.

9. no, i've done 2 grows with this setup and no problems with the gear whatsoever.

10. Well, that gives me hope.

I might try the 600w bulb when I feel a little better about my grower's skills....