hps help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by chargersdt66, Sep 10, 2013.

1. So I have a 400 watt hps lamp but have no idea how to hook it up. I never really knew about it hps so I just went on on a limb thinking it would plug into a socket. so my question is this,

How in the heck do I set this up? I have been using cfls in a adapter to a power strip now im confusd.

I know heat is a big thing with these and I am going to test tempos before I throw my plants under it, but how far do they have to be away from the lamp to not get burned even if you keep the temps low around 80 or something to that effect?

Thanks for the help!

2. What do u mean you thought it would just hook up into a socket? Like you bought a bulb by itself? They have a mogul socket and need a socket to fit that, as well as a ballast. I'm assuming by what you said, you don't have a ballast. If that's the case, you will need one. Once that is straightened out, the distance will depend on the size and stage of the plant. You don't want it closer than a couple feet away when it is a seedling. You raise or lower based on what the plant tells you. If it is stretching, move a few inches at a time until it is at a good level. If the leaves show signs of heat stress, raise it. You definitely need good air circulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

3. yes, I thought of like a cfl putting it into a socket adapter to hook it up to a powerstrip. like I said I don't understand a lot about hps lighting which is why im asking. and I understand that the plant will tell you. but I also have limited available space so I wanted to know whether they would be inches away as long as good air circulation and temps or if they had to be feet away. sorry im new to this style of growing and am tryng to learn...

4. Totally different ball game with HID versus CFL. With HID HPS/MH you need a ballast matching the wattage of your bulb, and a lamp socket.  Most everyone runs a socket reflector combo.  HID lamps will cook a plant if kept within a few inches, no matter the air circulation.  Even running in an enclosed hood, you will need to keep your distance, and the heat generated by HID will cause an enclosed space to become stifling in short order.  The enclosed hood and/or heat generation from the HID set-up is almost guaranteed to call for forced ventilation and possibly also cooling.

5. hmm well I guess ordering the lamp wasn't best idea lol I don't hav that kind of room to keep the lights a fair distance away. so I guess ill have to stick with cfls. my reasoning for trying to switch is my first grow was real flakey and string ynot a lot bud in the end result and pretty much only good for a quick bowl (although a buddy of mine loved it) I want better and I know I can do better. but ill stick with cfls until I can upgrade then. thank for the agvise!

aso what would be a fair amount of cfls? in a sense of 2 plants with 100 wat cfls hoe many would  I need to get quality lighting

6. Would you be able to get a small T5 light? You could keep it close like CFL's but they are more efficient IMO.

7. possibly. but here again idk much about those lights so wat would I need to hook it up? I contemplated those too but hve no idea how to st those up either. im not good with the advanced lighting hahaha

8. I've never used them but see people with fantastic results from them. You don't need anything special. They plug straight in the wall. They are similar to the big fluorescent tube shop lights, I'm sure you've seen them before (those are usually T12's). Check out htgsupply.com.