HPS heat problem! Help please

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by matachaves, Jul 8, 2009.

1. #1 matachaves, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2009
    I have a 400W HPS in my flowering room and i installed a new one that i got for free so now i have 2 400w hps in my flowering room. The temperatures are getting up to 84 at the top of my plants. I turn on the lights at 7PM and off at 7AM because at night the temperatures are much lower and i don't have AC in that room. I left the door open in the flowering room and the highest the temperature got last night was 79 so that is ok.

My plan is to close the door of the flowering room @ 7AM.The question is: does the light coming in from my veg room affect my flower room even if it is open only when lights are on in the 12/12?

I Veg. with CFL and i have aprox 800 Wats on CFLs in the veg. room.

thanks

Mata

2. 84 degrees is a good temperature if you can maintain that.

You don't have to worry until your grow room temps go above 95F degrees or drop below 65F.

3. thanks, 95 sounds very hot! but hey that works for me perfectly i can keep both lights on then.

Thanks
    Mata

4. Sorry but this is wrong. 95F is WAY to hot.

Anything above 85F is no good. 78F is optimum for a space without the benefit of added CO2. (84F-85F with CO2.) I would call 72F optimum for the dark period. You can get away with a temps being a little higher if you have lots of air circulating, but NEVER 95F without losing yield and/or optimum growth.

5. ok, so opening the door will lower my temps to 79 max when my hps lights are on. will the light coming from the veg room affect my flowering ladies? If not, i could open the door when lights are on and close it when lights are off in the flowering room.

Is this correct?

6. Guess I should be more clear. I should have said plants stop growing above 95 and below 65.

Read this from the Growfaq has good info-

A humidity and temperature gauge are essential in any growroom. Daytime conditions should be 70-80 degrees without co2, 80-90 degrees with co2 until the last two weeks when daytime temps should be kept between 70-80 and co2 can be reduced to adjust for the lower metabolism. Night temperatures should be kept above 60 degrees to prevent stress. It is preferrable during flowering to have a night temperature drop of 10-20 degrees to stimulate flowering hormones and reduce stem elongation.

I find that low humidity causes stress on plants. I recommend 50-60% humidity until the final 2 weeks of flowering. At this point, the humidity should be lowered as much as possible to encourage the plant to seal and protect itself with additional resin. (I am able to get the humidity to go as low as 31%) I have been able to frost things up considerably this way. The higher humidity levels prior to final ripening reduce salt levels within the plant tissue and encourage healthy, more lush growth.

7. No, the veg light wont hurt the blooming plants as long as when the flower room goes off the plants are in COMPLETE darkness. Any light leeks could cause hermi problems down the road. Just closing the door wont work as light will get under the door and through the cracks. When the flower room goes off, do a light leak check. Any light getting to them during their dark cycle is bad. COMPLETE darkness is key.

8. if your veg llights are on when your flowering room is on it's not an issue, but if light is getting into yur flowering room while they are in dark that IS a problem..

9. ok thanks people that clears all my doubts, so i will keep the door open when lights are on and close it when they turn off. Its going to be a pain to do it this way, no mechanism with time control for the plastic cover/door :mad:. But every effort is justified by better buds.

Thank you all
    Mata