HPS for veg?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jphamac, Mar 2, 2008.

1. I have a 400 hps, my question is...

Can I use it for vegging? Does it help and is it better then using cfl's? Should I use another spectrum with the hps? I don't have an MH setup.

2. you can get a conversion bulb if you want.
    or what i did when all i had was HPS was just put a few cfl's of the other pectrum around the plants, so the got some of both.

HPS works fine by it's self as well.

3. Yes, you def. can

MH is said to be better for root growth, though u can always get a conversion to MH bulb.

IMO-Get maybe a couple 4100k and 6500k Cfls to add with the hps for increased veg.

Or just run alot of cfl lights instead of HPS so the energy bill isn't outrageous and then you can also go 24/0 light cycle.

4. MH is better for veg, but there is no reason why you can't use HPS. I used HPS the whole way through on my last grow, and my plants did great.

5. thanks for the quick replies guys. I will use the hps instead of cfls because it's really hard to hang a bunch of them everywhere, much easier to hang just one lamp :)

6. I'm using a 600 watt hps and it's just fine. All of he research i have done says that hps is just as succesfull for veg as MH, plus Hps give out more lumens which is what you want for your plant to thrive in your Grow room and trust me your plant will love you for it.

7. I've been recently experimenting with vegging under HPS. I have no definitive answers but it seems to work just fine. I think they might vegetate faster under MH however (sure seems so).

I have some mothers under HPS for a test right now and they are BUSHY. They got really crazy and they look insane.

I'm going to vegetate for 3 weeks under MH, and then 10 days under HPS. I'll have a better idea of what is perfect and what isn't hopefully by this time next year.

I grow Kush, but I haven't perfected it yet. It takes quite a bit of time to learn through all the quirks. Each grow yields a unique problem, but I think I've learned to solve each of them. Challenging, but fun.

I will try to share my info as much as possible on the city, as this site has been very informative for me as well, even though I got most of my "classified" information elsewhere, but not all of it!!

8. Hey man, you say you are having problems with yield, what type of nuts. are you using? Plus how many plants to your hps?