HPS during Flowering more important than Veg lighting?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by 420FLASmoka, Mar 7, 2009.

1. I was wondering, if I vegged my plants with T8 Floro's and a few CFL's, would that be sufficient for veg and still enable my plants to yield 15+ ounces with an 1000W HPS for flowering?

2. Im not going to comment on yeild as that is mostly down to the grower. I use just CFL's for my veggy area and HPS for my flowering room.Many people around here do, take a look in the grow journals section and steal the best ideas!

Good luck

3. IMHO, all you need for vegging is a floro tube and a little extra cfl lighting, they don't need that many lumens until after they are 12" tall. Invest more into lighting for flowering and nutes. If you really want to maximize your yield, look into training, fimming and/or scrogging.

4. Thanks for the replies you two!

Suspect- That's EXACTLY the answer I was looking for. Thanks!
    Abnormldood- With fimming and scrogging, is that how you end up with lots of colas or does it just make the plant bigger as a whole?

5. I don't know how to address which kind of light at which stage of the plant's life is more "important", I'll just say that to maximize yield you want as much light as possible on the plant at all stages. As much light as possible of the right spectrum for that stage, of course.

6. Yes, fimming is when you pinch the tips to make a single cola grow into two colas, by repeating this process you can make as many colas form as you want up until it starts flowering. With scrogging, you use a screen to train the plants to grow in an even canopy and trim under the screen so that it can maximize light towards the main colas. Fimming/Training and Scrogging are both great methods, just a matter of preference I guess. Scrog grows seem to be the easier choice to me.