HPS, CFL, LED energy to create watts ?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by seymor skagneti, Oct 9, 2009.

1. I want to make sure I have or don't have an understanding of this,
    with out getting to technically deep.

If I used enough CFL's to equal say 400w would they use the same amount of
    energy that one 400w HPS uses to create light?

A 68w CFL = 300w uses 1.13 amps (from memory) 1.13 amps is this an hourly draw?

Vs. a 400w hps uses ??? amps

From what I've read so far, t-5 florescents can flower very well, but what the poster qouted for monthly power was about the same as a 400w HPS cost to run.
    I'm wondering is there more of an upside to swithching from M/H to an alt light source other than lower temps and if temps are managed whats the inscentive to change, unless power consumption is reduced more than a little, it has to be enough to offset the new cost of more effecient lights.

In theory could I replace my 400w HPS with 2-CFL 68w/300w and get more
    light for less $$$, would that really be equal to a 600w light?

2. TTT. Great Questions, would also like to know.

3. Thanx for the bump,
    do you think my ??? make sense or nobody has a low tech answer ?

4. It makes perfect sence. Whats the cheapest way to get the most light...The cost of the cfls starts to climb the more you add trying to equal the lumens of an HID.

Newegg.com - P3 Kill A Watt Electricity Load Meter and Monitor

would one of these help you? you will need both lights of course, I have cfls and hids. I should grab one of these to see whats watt...:D

5. Watt, LOL, yeah thanx, I've thought about getting one, I ass-umed they were more than $20.00, thats well worth the curiosity it will satisfie.

6. :). I agree. If you get one any time soon post up your results.

7. Good ? im using CFL so sometimes i wonder the same thing cause i always want to equate HPS with my CFL but i dont know how much to use and i dont want to substantially increase the electric bill.

8. No it doesn't. You're retarded.

9. Hey d bag. Im not talking about the piss ant bitch cfls your gonna be using In your grow from walmart, im talking the 400 watt-105s. these run 30-40$ EA. FOR 100WATTS. So your saying that one of these which put out only 5000 lumens isnt going to start getting more expensive when your trying to equal one 40k lumen HPS? Youll need about 8 good cfls, again not from your old ass moms dusty reading lamp, at a cost of 240.00. But i guess you can always coupon clip untill you get your 85 23 watters wired together. I can see the cost difference then...:rolleyes:

10. CFL's will not give off equal amounts of light as an HID of the same watts, meaning 400 watts of cfl light is not equivalent to 400 watts of HID light. CFL's start to create quite a bit of heat when you are using a good number of them. There is no benefit that I can see other than doing a very small grow and not being too worried about final yield.

11. Yes exactly, Always look at the Lumens. So what Seymor Really wants to know is what Light produces the most Lumens for the least amount of money In energy used and initial cost. Im going to have to say the best bang for the buck is going to be good old HID.

12. No. No. No.

A 68w CFL = 68w. Not 300w. It may be equivalent (in light output) to a 300w incandescent bulb, but it DOES NOT draw 300w. It draws 68w (+ a little for inefficiency).

Btw, this "equivalency" is exactly why CFL's are good for home use. To our eyes, a small wattage CFL is as bright as an incandescent of 4x the wattage. This does not, however, translate linearly into plant growth.

Ok, now that hopefully that misconception is cleared up:

If you had 400w of CFL's (actual wattage, not equivalent) and a 400w HPS, they would use very close to the same amount of electricity. In fact, the CFL's would probably use a bit more. And they won't be as effective as grow lights.

Power consumption does not get reduced unless you use less watts. And HPS will beat CFL with the same # of watts almost always.

But ... CFL's are available in all kinds of sizes, shapes, and wattages - and they are available in small wattages that HPS's are not. Also, the flat top and large coverage area for CFL's can be an advantage in height-challeneged SCRoG grows.

Nope. No way in hell. You could replace your 400w HPS with two 68w CFL and you'd get considerably less usable light than you would from a 150w HPS.

Best to just stop looking at the "equivalent" wattages on CFL's - they are just confusing you.

13. qes27,

Great response.

14. qes27, thank you, thats the direction I want this thread to go.

15. imho, hands down the most efficient light to grow cannabis with is a 600w HPS running on a digital ballast.

The second most efficient? 400w HPS on a digital ballast.

If you can't use one (or many :)) you have some definite restrictive conditions that will severely narrow one's possible lighting solutions.

16. a 360w hps puts out 45,000 lumens
    a 68w equivlant 300w cfl puts out 4200 lumens
    10x68w CFL =680w to get a close enought lumen number
    qes27 I think the above confirms your info.
    680w of cfl to get the same of an 400w hps.

Whats the diff. between amps & watts, I'm used to using amps.
    to get a rough idea of consumption in past fabrication jobs
    I've done, I'm trying to understand the difference.
    Or maybe that difference is no use in this, what is the amp draw of
    a 400w hid?

17. I just happen to have shop light here which uses a 400w MH bulb. Im looking at the tag on the side...the light can be wired for 120, 208, 240, and 277 volts. The amps used goes down the higher voltage you use. Im sure you know running something in a higher voltage like your dryer, or pool pump uses less power in amps being more cost effective.

anyway for 120 volts this light will draw 4 amps as opposed to only drawing 1.8 amps at 277 volts.

18. It is true that less amps will be used when the voltage is increased, but the power used (watts, v*a) will be the same and will cost the same from the electric co.