HPS capacitor replacement

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by AnonymousBuds, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Have a 1000w that fires up after about 15 minutes, slow to fire.
    It then goes out after maybe 3 minutes.

Every one has said the capacitors go bad after awhile and is usually the problem but I want to make sure it's not the ignitor....

If anyone knows how to check properly, I'm all ears.

Don't want to spend 40$ on a new part to find out I need the other 40$ part, at with point I could have just baught a new ballast.

Also someone with the time and knowledge should certainly make a sticky for proper maintenance of ballasts....hint...hint.

Cheers Blades

2. Am I the only one who runs HID(MH/HPS) without a capacitor? o_O

• Like Like x 1
  3. I've seen video of ppl sparking em with out them. I'm just trying to fix this for a friend. So I visually checked it it's not bubbled up, doesn't appear to have anything g wronge. ( the capacitor )

I don't have a currency meter to test it on hand. So confused.

4. unless you're an electrician, for everybody else in the building's safety I'd say go get a new one

• Like Like x 1
  5. I've been around electricians and went along on a few jobs. I'm a computer tech. So I work with wiring alot. This doesn't need any wiring all of that is good, the transistor, compasitor, and ignitor are all basically unscrew plug and play. I'm not gonna spend 200 on a new ballast when I only need to buy one part. It's basically like plugging in a 9 volt batterie. Very Simple. I've watched a few video, just trying to find out the best way to test the ignitor, and transistor.

• Informative Informative x 1