HPS Bulbs?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MeanJoeGreen69, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Hey everyone I'm new to this but I just ordered my seeds from attitude seed bank and now I'm gathering my supplies, right now I'm looking at getting a setup for 4 32 watt t8 6500k fluorescent tubes with I'm going to use fox farms organic soil and I'm also looking for a high pressure soidium bulb that I can get with a cheap ballast but I can't find one anywhere?
    I'm planning on growing 3 feminized white widow seeds, 1 auto flowering skunk and I also got 1 free ch9 seed

2. If anyone could help it would be appreciated

3. Your local hydro shop is your friend. They'll have everything you need.

4. I don't think I have a local hydro shop, would they have it at a lowes? Everything I find online is very expenisive

5. Can I use 32 watt 2700k t8 floursecents instead of HPS

6. Not if you want good bud

7. Oh. Alright, but I can use the 6500k t8's for veg right?

8. Oh. Alright, but I can use the 6500k t8s for veg right?

9. Yes you can and I would recommend them for veg but you need power for good buds so definitely get a hps for flower

10. Alright cool, thank you

11. The bulb itself is several hundred degrees cooler than hps. It does give off heat but nothing like the 1000 hps. Its only a issue for smaller tents. Mine is n a tent but i have combated it well.

12. #14 schmal3x, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2013
    If you dont have t8's already, please dont buy them. If you insist on using floros then you need to buy a T5HO or T5VHO to get any decent results. One T8 4 ft bulb is rated at 3k lumens, while one T5HO is rated at 5k and T5VHO is rated at 7.2k lumens.

The price difference between the two isnt going to be much different but your plants will appreciate it. Also, you need to tell us what watt ballast you have if you want a link to a bulb.

13. I think I'll look into these, I'm setting up an area for a friend and heat is an issue but he doesn't want to compromise on output. Thanks for the info man.

T8's work fine for veg and the price difference between the 2 is huge, you're looking at at least $400 for a decent 8 bulb t5ho fixture plus the bulb price is at least triple t8's. The only reason I would buy a t5 is if I was gonna flower under them too.

14. #16 schmal3x, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2013

You're smoking some crack man...
    Sun Blaze 960300 | Fluorescent Grow Light Fixture

Just for reference:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202968...d=10051&N=5yc1vZbvnq&R=202968125#.UVY1YRykoxM and you still need to buy the bulbs at 7-10 a pop... do the math

And one more since you mentioned 8 bulbs even though the OP said 4 bulbs... http://1000bulbs.com/product/88884/SUN-960305.html

15. Why because you found a cheap Chinese fixture? Anything brand name goes for twice that, and you get what you pay for. I get t8 bulbs by the case @ $3 a bulb and t5's according to the site you provided are $24.95

16. Where can I get a T5VHO from? If it's better il use it.

17. #19 Doc-J, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
    [quote name='"MeanJoeGreen69"']

Where can I get a T5VHO from? If it's better il use it.[/quote]

Aquarium supply companies will have a good selection.

I bought my 4' 4 bulb t5ho fixture from home depot and it has worked great so far. Cost $89 for the fixture and $28 for bulbs.

18. I got all my lighting on Ebay, best prices I could find