Grasscity - 420 Sale

HPS Ballast Transformer Question

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by JIMBO33, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. I have three very nice 400 watt HPS lights that I acquired. The only problem is that they are set up to operate off 208 volts as oppossed to the 120 that my house current uses. I was wondering if I could replace the transformer in the light with one that has an input voltage of 120 instead of 208. I looked for something like that, and didn't find much. So then I thought, surely I can find a transformer that steps 120 volts up to 208. I looked and found nothing. I am fairly electrically knowledgable, so I figured I would buy some ferrite cores and make my own 120 to 208 transformer. The only thing is that I have never made a transformer to handle such high currents for such a period of time. Does anyone have any experience with these sort of things? Thanks.
  2. Thanks for all the help, but I figured it out. Transformers and weird commercial circuit wiring is crazy. I learned a lot about wiring setups for MH and HPS in my quest, so if anyone has any questions, I can do my best to help.
  3. Can I convert a household track lighting fixture (R30) to handle HPS bulbs? How would I do it if indeed it can be done?
  4. I'm not sure what a R30 lighting track is. Can you give me some more info on it. Appearance, manufacturer, anything written on it?

Grasscity Deals Near You


Share This Page