HPS ballast help please

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Irie67, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Ive got a 1000 Sunlight HPS. Its about 6 years old and on its last leg. About 2 months ago, part of the ballast burnt up. it was the part that the power wire connects to as power comes into the ballast. So the guy at Worms Way bypassed the part and hard-wired it for me. Now the place that he hardwired burnt up. Thankfully, it bought me time till my grow was fininshed. Im posting pics wondering if this sucker is done for and maybe i should just buy a new one. If it can be fixed, please help. I could attempt to re-hardwire it, but that didn't work so well the first time and the wire's have been exposed to alot of heat. They could be too weak to be able to be hardwired again. It also has me wondering if another part is malfunctioning causing this to happen.

IMG_1256 - Copy.jpg

IMG_1257 - Copy.jpg

IMG_1258 - Copy.jpg

2. There are some places that re-furbish used ballasts, I couldn't tell you any company names off the top of my head but maybe if you emailed one they could help let you know whats up.

Personally, I'd just get a new one. Any chance you're still under warranty?

3. Find an equivalent transformer and slap it in there cuz from looking at it, I'd say you have a short in the short-side of your transformer. You're probably better off buying a new one.

4. yeh im just getting a new one. Thanks guys

5. It surely has an overheating problem,if you did fix it enough to get it running,it just might burn your house down.Get a new one...I have one that doesn't even get warm..its digital tho.
    Get a new one,or make sure your fire insurance is paid up!