hps and mh lights

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by herbgrower13, Aug 16, 2006.

1. can i buy these lights at a walmart or a home depot? and i was at walmart the other day and i saw these flourescent lights that were 85 W and said they were just like sunlight, would those work or should i just get HPS or MH lights, and if i got HPS or MH what is a lower wattage that will still give my plants enough sunlight?

2. well, you can try going to home depot and picking up a security light HPS ($50-$150) there, otherwise purchase a MH or HPS 150W ($100-$200) which is the only lowest i can think of at the moment, if you do this i suggest using a SonAgro Gold bulb (multiple spectrums)

3. what about CFL lights if i got those what should the wattage be, cuz im goin stealth

4. yea you can use CFL's, you should consider building a stealth cab if you want some stealth, very nice one's i've seen on here, try looking at walmart for some 27W 2700k Lumen cfls or other hardware stores, i'd say 2 of these CFL's per 1 plant, also if your going to have 1 plant i suggest ordering some FEM seeds ($23) so its not a 50/50 male or female

5. most fem seeds dont work or suck. IMO

6. depends on the breeder, if you got some true fem seeds or half assed ones

7. No complaints here.

8. thats another thing, i have 8 plants growing outside but im going to move them in once it starts getting cold, there all about 3-4 inches and have been growing for around 2 weeks and i really have no idea how to tell if they are male or female, ive read stuff i just dont get it, can someone please try to explain it

9. how many plants could like a 150W HPS light support and could i build a stealthcab out of like a cardboard box or something? and if thats possible could i have directions

10. 8 plants would need a 400W HPS at minimal with mylar, a 150W HPS could support about 2-3 plants

you can use wood, cardboard, speaker box, toy chest, and/or a cabinent to build a stealth cab, the concept is to have a enclosed area with enough room to grow plants, with a mini fan & a carbon scrubber (helps smell), take for instance a tv cabinent for $35, you could fit 2-3 plants in it but you would make sure to use fluro's & mylar to get the max out of your lights, thats just my idea of a grow box, cardboard boxes are kinda iffy, possible fire, unless you mylar the thing even than no guarentees