HPS and MH bulb question.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Calchin1994, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Hi Guys,

I currently have a Dual Spectrum 600w Omega HPS bulb with digital ballast in my tent. I did my research and found HPS to be a great option.

Since then, I have read a lot that says Metal Halide bulbs are better for veging, so was thinking of purchasing one.

However, as I have a 'Dual Spectrum' bulb does this mean I don't need to have the two seperate bulbs as it does the same thing as HPS and Metal Halide?

Thanks in advance

2. I can confirm your suspicions as I used both an MH and a HPS now in my first grow. Things are going great for me it seems.

I'm close to week 8 of flowering and these products have served me rather well. I'm doing 1x 1000w light though. In the preliminary stages of veg, I used a t5 fluorescent. I switched to the MH later on. Here's how my grow looks like.

Attached Files:

• ggg2.jpeg
      ggg2.jpeg
      File size:
      221.8 KB
      Views:
    • g2.png
      g2.png
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • g23.jpeg
      g23.jpeg
      File size:
      237.8 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Hey Mate,

Thanks for the reply, your plants look great!

However in terms of the question I was asking, I have a 'dual spectrum' bulb. Does this do the job of a HPS and MH combined, therefore I don't need to get one of each?

Thanks

4. Honestly I don't know too much about dual spectrum bulbs, but I've seen people commenting about how they're lesser quality than both the MH and HPS.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ive used a dual spectrum bulb from germination to harvest they work very good ,,so you'l be fine to use it ,,,,the only trouble is with dual spectrum bulbs they dont last as long as using HM and Sodium ,,the added Blue spec makes the bulb burn at a higher temp so dont last as long ,but most people buy new bulbs after a couple grows any way ,,you should get a good couple grows out of it ,,before it starts loosing brightness ,,mac,,

6. Cheers Mac, appreciate the comments dude