How's my setup?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Djz020, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Haven't grown in about 10 years. My girlfriend wanted to learn and I didn't feel like spending a shit load on expensive grow equipment. So I went out and bought what I could. Came home, rigged everything up. Bought 1 clone (Blue Dream) vegged it for 2 weeks at 18-6: then made the switch to 12-12... i used a 3 gallon container and some shitty Wal-Mart soil for $4. ...the electric bill went up about $35~ a month ... Here we are about 57 days into flower. ...so tell me, without having done much growing in years, how'd I do? Lol ...any tips for next grow? (P.S. the other plant is an unknown bag seed)

Attached Files:

2. not bad at all for what you're working with :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yes. First, lose the crap Wal Mart soil. If you're interested I can give you a basic organic soil recipe that will take you start to finish with plain tap water, no nutrients needed that will actually grow you some good herb - and no offense intended, please.

Lighting. You'll never get anywhere with that lighting setup. Go and actually get yourself a 400w HID setup or one of the newer LED panels. Lighting means everything with Cannabis.

You get out of this hobby what you put into it - like anything else I suppose.

J

• Like Like x 3

4. Yes I've been considering going with the 400 watt HPS. however I'm concerned with electric cost!! Any idea how much one of those puppies take to run a month?

5. It really depends on your electric costs per kWh but they aren't bad. I mean, how many watts are you running with all those cfl bulbs?

J

6. I'd say you doing well with what you have there.

Just add a cheap desk fan to move the air around a bit and to strengthen those stems otherwise you going to have a bad time come mid to late flower.

7. With absolutely zero disrespect to OP, you're saying he's doing well? So when he ends up with a dry quarter to a half ounce when all is said and done, that's doing well?

"Otherwise you'll have a hard time come mid to late flower" - man, that's it, that's all there is. He's on Day 57 so he's already in late flower.

Ahh well. I'm certainly not trying to be mean but I won't sugarcoat what he'd like to hear just to placate. He specifically asked "How's My Setup", and crap WalMart soil and 7 CFL bulbs is NOT ideal. No one is helping by telling him he's doing well. He's looking for tips for improvement.

OP, ditch those poor CFL's and get either an HID or a small LED panel and some good quality soil and you'll be growing a quarter pound or more of much higher quality next round - unless you're happy with what you've got there - but you asked.

J

• Like Like x 1
  8. There are electricity cost calculators online. Like this:
    Electricity bill calculator | Energy cost calculator
    As suggested a good 400Watter would probably cost no more than that parade of CFLs. and correctly utilized will cut down on that gangly stretch you currently got going.
    For next time...here is what I do and I get more than an pound under a 600W HID and your costs will be little more than that $4 bag of dirt.
    20 zips for about $30
    image.jpg

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Understood, however OP did state that his electricity bill did climb so I was assuming this is about as good as it will get given OP's capital.

100% Those CFLs will not suffice and as for "Having a hard time" I was referring to the plant falling over and pulling the whole pot with it due to bud weight, however that is not the case here (CFL's?)

As for the soil from walmart someone already pointed that out, including you and I'm sure OP is smart enough to put 2 and 2 together and know its not good soil if its been pointed out.

And with that set-up hell be lucky to get a half ounce anyway, but hes still gonna get weed right?

10. In addition..do some Low Stress training, to get more bud sites and a busier, sturdier plant..Just my 2 cents..
    If electricity and/or heat are considerations..an inexpensive LED may be the answer for you..

• Like Like x 2
  11. For what you used to grow you did okay. Middle of the road. Need more training on those plants to utilize your light source. And with that light source that's a definite need. Short plant with a nice even canopy with lots of bud sites would've yielded you much more.
    Crap soil is a definite no no. For an extra 10 bucks you could've had a decent nute rich soil that would've helped a lot.
    And a little extra time in veg would've been a big help.
    Lighting and soil are your biggest issues. Get a cheap mars300 for 70 bucks on amazon and a bag of fox farm and you'll do 10x better. And it'll be cheaper to run than those 7 bulbs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I'm not accusing the OP of not being truthful but I don't understand how 7 cfl's can increase a power bill by $35. My 650w LED doesn't increase my bill that much.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yeah those lights didn't noticeably impact your electric bill at all... maybe the hotter weather is causing you to run the ac longer but I mean it just doesn't add up 175 watts of light give or take doesn't raise an electricity bill that high... hell if you replace all the other bulbs in your home with the 13 watts or the 24 watt ones like you got now you'll notice a drop... but ac can be pretty costly especially if it's running all the time... my ac cost more than my two mars hydro 300's plus the fans...

Robs New Journal RQS SQ#1 Clones

Robs New Journal RQS SQ#1 Clones

• Like Like x 2
  14. Please. While in a thread and talking electricity usage, LED users....give your wattage in true watts and not the number they pretend to be. Thanks.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. If you're referring to me and my post, I'll clarify for you. My 650w LED that I referenced in my post is the true watts. I'm smart enough to know the difference.

• Like Like x 1
  16. :) Actually not you as I knew you were true based on previous conversations. Kudos to you for doing so.

• Like Like x 2
  17. If referring to me then.... I wasn't stating any wattages period I was just plain and simple listing my lights name and model number.

18. I was thinking those were 23w bulbs at first but they look like the 43W ones right? If so it wouldn't be that much of a difference but I have no idea what the hell dave is talking about... even if those are the 43W bulbs that is still under 400W.... so it would obviously cost LESS to run than a 400watt HID and it's ballast and the extra fan I'd highly recommend adding... so I wouldn't go as far to say it wouldn't cost no more it would cost a tad more but the reward would definitely be worth it.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Well that got weird.

I agree with most posters for next time. Id also suggest a tent, it makes it easier to control temps and humidity and the inner lining is reflective. You can also control light timing a bit better with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Thanks for all the helpful replies guys. :weed:

• Like Like x 1