How would I go about doing this?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by madmax3, Mar 13, 2012.

1. I'm going to use some lights in an upright position that will be on the ground on a base, is there some sort of an easy way to increase the height from the ground and the base, i.e. putting books/small boxes underneath it. Essentially it will tower and can be moved in height depending on how the plant is doing.

Is there a way of doing this without having to resort to using boxes and books? It's a bit of a crude method and doesn't get the height exactly. I was thinking of some sort of a platform where the legs of the platform are those pipes in a pipe that can extend in any height.

Is there an even easier way than this however? I'd have to make the whole platform which isn't so hard so long as I have a guide somewhere but I couldn't find one.

For anyone having trouble understanding here's a picture.

Thanks,
    madmax3

Attached Files:

2. Before posting this you need to tell us the room size you plan on using, your current method sucks ..bigtime! only tells us how inexperienced you are....sorry!!
    There are 2 camps on this, those that hang vertically, and those that hang horizontally,
    books and boxes are used in early veg to raise the slow growing veggies to the light, not the light itself.
    Go take a look in the library in my blog

peace
    "V"

3. #3 madmax3, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012
    I have grown outdoors before just not indoors. I cannot use the ceiling in the area I'm growing in to hang the lights. I have a light at the moment which is being hung by a rope that is hanging on another rope which stretched across the spaces wall (it's fairly small so it's not so long). I didn't say I'm using books and boxes, that's what I'm trying to avoid because it's a crude an inaccurate method plus it takes up space. The method I'm trying to do involves some sort of an extendable platform which is accurate and easier to adjust.

The size of the area is fairly small in terms of width and length, and it's not square shaped either but it's quite tall, enough to hold four plants in 3-5 gallon pots and two fans.. The area in which I'm living in makes it harder to get certain equipment, for example, it's quite difficult and expensive to get long desk type lamps here (I am actually currently using one which is short, but with LST so far it's fine). Assuming I cannot hang it, how would I go about using a light when its base is essentially on the ground? Is there some sort of way to make a cheap and long DIY lamp which can be extended?

I perhaps may try this:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-led-desk-lamp/

I am open to other suggestions though.

Thanks,
    madmax3

4. Consider a tent and 2 t4 racks, maybe $200-$300. that will get you to veg, then a 250w HPS to complete budding, I gotta stress the proper planning and cash outlay is vital from the outset, or if you must... 12 cfl lights, 3 per plant, each plugged into one of those cheapo, clamp anywheres lamp, similer to what you've inked too but way cheaper, pix on the sub forum somewheres?, they are good and handy, but most use them as supplementary lights.

peace
    "V"