How will history view the present?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Iceni Toker, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Say...1000 years from now. What would this time in history been seen as.

Personally I'd say we'd be remembered as the sort of second renaissance with technology. Mass communication has enabled all sorts of democratic governments to form on many parts of the planet too, but the rise of corporate power is challenging this.
    Since ww2 America has been the dominant world power, but the rapid industrialization of other countries like China and the cooperate control of everything including the economy has lead to the beginning of it's slow decline.

Or maybe it won't even matter in the nuclear wasteland of World war 3...

2. It will be seen as Rome is seen now, as far as America is concerned. A nation started off well, grew wealthy from having freedom, an imperialist state formed along with an expansive welfare state, heavy inflation was used to feed the insatiable government appetite, and it finally collapsed economically.

3. I agree, and the similarities between Rome and the US are shocking. but I think we have a hell of a long way to go first. I mean Rome lasted roughly 800 years, America is 236 years old.

4. like this:

[​IMG]

5. #6 Mairuzu, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2012
    Hopefully we will all be alive still in android form.

Edit: Actually no. Fuck that.

6. Most of history will be wiped out and re-written by then like usual.

7. Hopefully we won't fall but reform.

8. A period of Massive Global Spiritual Awakening, and a time of peace and unity among people is in progress. I truly believe it.

9. Gloriously, no doubt.

10. as the people that fucked up so much shit had to change. and as previously said, the founding fathers of the internet.

11. ever wonder if 1000 years from now, some internet archaeologist finds this thread?

edit: omg and what if he reads this post?

12. They'd think they were the start of civilization. Nothing we make has sustainability.

13. Rome didn't have the Internet. Things move faster these days.

To paraphrase Andy Warhol, in the future every nation will have 15 minutes of empire.

China's on deck, with India and Brazil queueing up...

Personally, I think that in 1000 years, America will be viewed with a geiger counter from a respectful distance...as a type of museum of things we should not do with our planet ever again.

14. The great awakening of a long sleeping monster called America. The most important revolutionn ever fought. A war on minds! Haha I'm high as shit

15. I am beginning to think the fall is inevitable. LoL, we are pretty fucked, especially with QE 4EVER and expanding conflicts in the ME. I just think we have passed that point of no return...

16. Rome also didn't deal with an over populated world of BILLIONS lol so yes, the fall of Rome may have taken 800+ years, but at this state of earth I'd say the fall will happen now.

17. I think they will look at us as we look at the Medieval Ages. They will laugh at our archaic idea of Government and be disgusted at our barbarity. People will be so free in the future that they will have a hard time identifying with those of us who will spend our lives as slaves under statism.

18. And someone will come along and try it again because their ego tells them they can do it "right", and there will be another collapse. LOL.

19. If the earth is still inhabitable that is.