How we might survive long term as a species

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by TheHaziestCush, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Well I was thinking about the future of us a species and it doesn't look to good.Long term future doesn't look good I mean 100-200years even a thousand years from now how can we expect to survive as a species and this planet alone with its limited resources. Shit even now were making factory farms to meet the supply need of our large scale societies.But the best way for us to survive long term as a species is probably to use something like artificial environments to basically hop through space till we can travel fast enough to reach through the vastness of the universe.

2. We need to find another earth to colonize

3. Long term future doesn't look good I mean 100-200years even a thousand years from now :rolleyes:

But the best way for us to survive long term as a species is probably to use something like artificial environments to basically hop through space till we can travel fast enough to reach through the vastness of the universe.

:D

4. U dnt have to b so snarky I wus jus high

5. I'd say the best chance is for some cataclysmic event to happen that wipes out a high percentage of us. You hit the nail on the head...limited resources. 50% less humans would help. Pandemic flu, asteroid hit, nuclear incident, zombie apocalypse (ha ha, couldn't resist that one!). Damn, if breeding didn't feel so good we'd have less problems. Also, there's no doubt there are too many cunts running the world. That doesn't help either.

6. And who knows wut our population would b if the Black Death or the holocaust nvr happened.i mean its awful that it did but still.

7. I don't think the future looks bad.

Humans are not destroying the earth contrary to popular belief

8. No not earth just each other.

9. We won't become extinct because of that.

Its just.going to be eugenics.

Eventually we might nuke the planet. Bit some will survive and start a new race.

I'm not arguing that its a good thing though....

10. I always considered our species to be critically endangered.

Think of it this way: we're the only extant hominids.

because of our massive supercolonies, we're one disease away from joining our fallen kin.

If rabies were to aerosolize, our species would die out in a matter of years.

11. I don't think so. Having supercolonies is a biological advantage. Its the mechanism of evolution.

It allows us to build up a massive stabalized gene pool.

There will be a massive die off (extinction) but not.of "humanity" it will be an extinction of all humans except for those with specific traits, who will then repopulate those traits.

They won't be humans anymore they will be the next step in evolution. Like humans and apes, these new creatures will be similar to us.

So in a sense humans will become extinct.

The other possibility is that we will have an Exodus. Weather or not humans on earth die, the ones who colonize Mars or another system will start to evolve differently and we will split into 2 species. Like humans and chimps

12. Humans ands apes evolved among a common ancestor. It was smart but not like humans and strong but not like apes. We split into two species one with the bronze and one with the brains. Right?

13. Cool thread.....

I've been thinking about this for awhile also....

I'm not sure that moving to another planet is the best option for us, as the unknown variables are much too great and the social cost for the discovery of another suitable planet will overburden the ability to pay for a successful recolonization.
    I would never suggest to stop space exploration, but a significantly reduced effort on "colonization".

Longterm success lies in the ability to live with less.....which is at odds with political system of the developed world.
    Those who have the skill to grow their own food and sustain their families, with the smallest amount of fossil fuel, will be the wealth holders of the future.

14. I was going to say overpopulation due to numerous increase of births in Asia but doesn't seem to be that much of a burden due to sea ports (stock on fish and other seafood). Scientists created GMO foods but I'm not sure whether or not genetically modified foods are safe for human consumption.

I would like to hear more about the analogy of human species moving to another planet.

15. Would be interesting if humans died out due to genetic engineeering. I mean this as if we modify the genes enough making a superhuman , but they can't reproduce with humans , so this would be considered speciation. and these new group of apes replace the old human race , due to genetically modifying all the embryos before birth.

16. its plenty good weed and food for everyone for alot longer than that

idk dutch master cigars might run low

17. #17 shaddytheman, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
    A superhuman? LOL is that even possible? Maybe robots are the future, just look at the supermarkets, most of the them have a automatic sensor system that already helps without waiting but if they increase then they wouldn't be no more positions for cashiers.

18. I was being pretty loose with my term, but I don't see why it would be impossible in the future. Just a unlikely scenario.

19. Well I mean hitler tried to make genetically modified humans by breeding apes with humans to make a warrior race. It didn't work of course but people are already working on stuff like that wether we realize it or not.

20. Wont happen.

Some will die off. Some will stay natural. And some will actually.do it right and become super human.

Humanity is too big to fall from the little things like that.

If humans become exctinct at this point it will be from a natural disaster on cosmological scales. Something like a Nova or asteroid