How to wire this light fixture?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by IDontSleep, May 28, 2009.

1. I bought this at HomeDepot. It says 120v 60hz and each light bulb spot says "max 60watt"

I got two of them and I was going to put 23w CFLs in them for a total of 9600 lums.

I'm only try to grow 2 or 3 plants.

Anyways, how do I wire this up? Just cut an extension cord, twist the wires together, cover in tape? There are only two wires, I though it would have to be grounded.

Attached Files:

2. thats a light kit for a fan
    and with out hooking it up to a ceiling fan, putting it on an extension cord is all you can do. it doesnt have a ground wire because the light housing would have been grounded when connected to the already grounded fan.
    so just go white to white and black to black when connecting to the cord and dont worry bout the ground wire on your extension cord (if there is one) you can cut it short or just ignore it

3. #3 goodtimes1971, May 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2009
    :smoking:In USA Usually it doesn't matter how you hook it up these days as both poles are usually insulated.

But the black wire usually means hot or the 120 VAC, that is the wire that will light up a test light or meter

put your test light or meter to some grounded point and to your existing wires, the one that reads 120 VAC or lights up the light brite is the hot

So to simply put it hook up the hot wire to black and the other wire, the grounded neutral to the white wire.

grounded neutral does not mean ground wire

also don't assume your house is wired right, sometimes electricians wire things backwards, yes the black is supposed to be the hot lead but this is not always the case.:wave:

added safety:
    please use the correct size wire nuts, electrical tape I don't trust, but if I am forced to use it I offset the splices so that even if the wires accidentally got the tape removed the position of the spicing would not yield a short circuit

4. take a lamp cord with a plug on one end, strip about a quarter inch of insulation off all ends of the wires and connect one wire of the cord to one of the wires from the fixture...repeat with the other two wires. Be sure to insulate the bare wires after they are twisted together. I suggest wire nuts, but electrical tape, if you wrap it well, will be okay.

Polarity is not important in this case.