How to wire a light socket/fixture?!?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Cocakilla, Dec 2, 2011.

1. #1 Cocakilla, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2011
    I' creating an outside grow box so it can be hidden from Grandma and neighbors, and put in my shed.

I need some advice because I'm no electrition, and I don't wanna ask my uncle to help lol. But if I buy a regular ceiling light socket (screw it to the top of the box), get my bulbs and all; How would I wire up the light fixture to a power source, i.e. multistrip, extension cord? Would I wire it to a switch just like in any room and wire that switch to a power source? How do I convert It to a male plug in to a multistrip or extension cord?

Last Question for this post, do lumens add up with multiple bulbs in one area.

2. If using cfl buy an adapter than you can screw on and plug into a power strip. I think they are called light sockets. Then just run an extension cord into your room connected to an 18/6 timer.

3. Kk thankyou, I'll search around for an adapter. I wasn't gonna get a timer, I was just gonna unplug and replug each day lol.

4. Attached Files:

5. HAHA yeah man that's exactly what I use. Definitely don't plug and unplug everyday. First off it's hard to do it exactly at the same time, and if you start to get off a little it can stress your plant. Second a timer cost ~10-15 bucks and you never have to worry, trust you'll be using it for the next 10 years if you keep growing.

6. Awesome, I'll def invest into one. I didn't look 'em up, but I thought they'd be crazy expensive lol. It's gonna be my first grow, I'm way excited.

7. Cha, cheap ones are like $5 but they break super easy so don't be a cheapo and get the 12-15 dollar one. Good luck on the first grow! So much fun goes into that first attempt...

8. Thanks, I appreciate it. It's gonna be so fun :D