How to water 3 gallon fabric pots

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by JamesV, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Hi need some guidance on watering in 3 gallon fabric pots. I’m in soil. Should I put a rack and elevate the pot so I get some airflow ? I feel like just the pot sitting on the tray, the bottom will never dry out. And do I water until I have runoff? I put half a gallon of feed and didn’t experience much runoff. How about putting holes in the bottom? Please help! Thanks you

2. Fabric pots dont need holes drilled in. im guessing you have perlite in the soil.. I read that it’s Coco and soiless grows that really need the run off, not so much soil, which is why soil growers also tend to add give only water every other or every third feeding, to let the salt leftover nutes dissolve... Im in week 6 of flower, soil grow, 5 gallon pots. giving them roughly half a gallon every other day, sometimes 85 oz... i fed three times in a row at half a gallon, next watering i’ll probably do 85oz only water each plant.

I’ve tried giving them a gallon at a time but it takes almost a week to dry out and i didnt like that.

Yes place a rack or something to sit them up. Then a tray or something under the rack to catch any water that may drip drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  3. on the first watering once potted up or even on hot dry days I use this rack and is very useful too

even for sieving finer soils for germing ...lol

I pour half the pots volume thru the plants soil

then the other half slowly and bit by bit until done

don't forget to leave the water out over night to get to air temp and fluff off gas

before water

Lift- THINK- then water or not

good luck

• Like Like x 1
  4. I found cheap paint trays at WalMart. It slightly elevates the pots and catches the runoff. Then I use a shop vac to remove the excess water.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thank you so much! Will heAd to Home Depot today to get some! Sounds perfect !

6. I used a bucket head for a 5 gallon bucket for runoff. Works wonderfully and it’s very inexpensive [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. I’m
    using some plastic light defusers I got from menards cut to size and elevated using 3 Pieces of 2x4 with trays underneath, easy to slide them out and drain the run off. I know it’s a older post but eliminates the need for a shop vac .

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Like your setup. Think i need something like this. Been using fabric planters put perlite in the dish underneath. But been getting some funky smells recently post watering. Guessing the bottoms are not drying out. Is there another term for "light defusers" ? Because i am trying to find something like this online and i am striking out. Not exactly sure what they are or what else they may be called. Thanks in advace

9. Found it at Lowe’s website
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/PLASKOLITE...VEdRkCh35uAL3EAQYAiABEgLKLfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Is a little more expensive than I remembered but it’s enough for at least four 3 gallons

10. Also there’s no need for perlite under the pots, perlite also retains moisture as well as improve drainage . Just run empty dishes underneath.

11. Lol, nice on the pain trays for catching the run off water. We gotta do what we can right?
    I myself bought a couple of the sturdy aluminum baking trays at my local ¢99 store