How to use computer fans?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Mrlyjammn420, Oct 28, 2008.

1. How do you convert the cords so that u can plug them in. i just bout 4 80mm computer fans and waiting for them to be shipped so i want to brush up on how to re wire them????

2. What should i buy i kno i need a 12V DC adapter or something along those lines but whats a normal day object that i could use. A phone charger? but which brand and model. I need the cheapest one possible!

3. Try coolerguys.com/extps.html

4. well the cheapest one is $10 and i need 6 of them so i dont want to pay 60 dollars worth of wires. Is there a cheaper way????

5. the one for 14.95 can do 5 12V fans, I think that might be the cheapest way.

if you wanna make one yourself, you have to either have 6 12v converters, or another cable that convert from your wall plug to 12v and be distributed among 6 computer plugs.

6. How would you splice that cord to hook up to 4 of them?

7. most fans have a male and female connectors, so you just need to keep connecting them in a serial way

8. yeahhhhhhh still have no idea what you mean?:smoking:

9. you connect the special power converter to the first fan using a 4 pin plug, if your fan has another 4 pin output, you need to connect that to your second fan and so on.

if you fan has only 1 4 pin plug, you need to get a 4 pin splitter.

the point is that the 14.95 adapter, can support up to 5 12V fans, but judging by you other thread, you can probably use 6 fans with it.

if you still don't understand, I suggest going with 6 individual converters.

10. isn't it possible to use a computer power supply?:confused: they run the fans inside the computer case, I would think one would work in this case, and you can just hit the switch on the back of the PS if you want them off

11. That's a possibility, however, a good one goes for about $40+, and will probably contribute to the heat, but it's definitely the easiest solution, especially for 6 fans.

12. If you've got a bunch of them laying around like I do (and any other computer nerd) it's practically free :D

13. Well i thought i was going to be using HPS but a plan fell through so i am just using some CFLS instead. So instead of 6 fans i am only using 4. So which is the best way to hook up four 80mm fans up???

14. I still think the best is using a computer power supply. Any of them will work as long as they have the molex connectors

15. The power cable for 14.95 + some of these if needed...
    compuplus.com/i-Power-Y-splitter-Cable-Standard-3-Large-Ends-4-Pin-PYO2L-160~.html?sid=n8w8xn2u752cdnr