How to use a computer power supply to run your entire grow box (fans/extras).

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by escher, Oct 11, 2009.

1. #1 escher, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2009
    OK, so I recently saw a thread on how to wire up a DC adapter to a computer fan. Thanks to him for that, but I personally prefer using a computer power supply to power ALL the DC components I want to with nice connectors, built in safeguards, built in on/off switch, etc. I don't have to worry about the math nearly as much and the supply itself makes a nice additional venting system.

So here are the steps to turn a cheap computer power into a hardcore DC adapter.

1. Purchase ($35) or otherwise acquire a computer power supply (ATX). There are many ways to obtain old ones for free or next to nothing because no one thinks they are good for anything. Make sure it is the type with a built in on/off switch. If it does not have an on/off switch, I will explain how to add one later.

2. Locate the connector that connects to the motherboard. It will be the long connector with the most wires.

3. In the motherboard connector you will find a green wire, and only one green wire. Snip the green wire close to the connector so that you have about an inch or more of wire to work with. These wires are usually wrapped, and there is no reason to open this wrap up as long as you leave enough room.

4. Choose a black wire close to the green one. It really doesn't matter which one, any one of them will do and snip it in the same way.

5. Strip about 1/4-1/2 inch of insulation from each of these two wires and twist the bare wires together. Fold them back on themselves once, and then twist on a small wire nut.

5. Optional Switch - Strip about 1/4-1/2 inch of insulation from each of these two wires. Connect each wire to a terminal on just about any type of switch that you can pick up at radio shack or around the house in old junk electronics. You can mount this in your box in any way that seems appropriate.

350 Watt PSU - $35
    Wire nut - $0.15
    Fans are dirt cheap so for like $10 you can get 80 CFM at a low decibel rating.

And now you can connect a LOT of fans, and even other DC devices with standard and common molex adapters. It's safer and easier than the wiring these fans up to DC adapters. You can even use the various FAN controllers that can be purchased to give you an added bit of control or cool effect.

Fans:
    Newegg.com - Computer Case Fans, Case Fans, LED Case Fan, 120mm Case Fans, 80mm Case Fan

2. #2 SmokinTrichs, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2009
    I'm in the process of doing this now but I worry about humidity under the power supply.
    Any thoughts?

Also,
    I still need a power cable coming in the box for the lights.
    I'd imagine I could put a power strip in the box. Then run main power to the strip, off of which the power supply and lights are run to only have one cable for power going in to the PC.

Good ideas man. I just got a case yesterday with a power supply I'm playing with now and was thinking the same thing. I just might put a little moisture barrier around the power supply without restricting airflow.

3. Humidity was something that concerned me as well. It should be fine, but to be on the safe side, I have a shelf built in the box that is airtight with it's own ventilation. This is where I keep the PSU, the remote ballast, and the timing power strip.

I am not sure how high humidity will get because this is my first go at it. Afterward, I will know whether or not the humidity would have even had an impact, but for now, better safe than sorry... :)

4. It shall be done!
    Many thanks! I'll seal off the power supply with it's own venting.

5. #5 SmokinTrichs, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2009
    Maybe adding one of these since I have 12V in the box.
    Temp monitor and auto/manual fan speed control! :cool:
    5 temp probes and 5 fan controls with selectable 5 monitors!
    Touchscreen too.

Has a temp alarm but a reviewer was saying you can yank the alarm speaker if you don't like the noise.

Attached Files:

6. Awesome find... I think I might grab that too. You can set the temps you want to keep it at as well.

I was looking at adding this as well... I think I have enough space and it has a continuous drain so can use the output to water the plants... It is also DC... :)

SD-652 Sunpentown Mini Dehumidifier With Whisper Quiet Operation

7. #7 SmokinTrichs, Oct 12, 2009
    Definitely.
    I have had one of those 2liter dehumidifiers on my list for a while now. I need one for my Veg closet and 2x2 flower box. I think 8" is a tiny bit too wide for my PC case though but it would fit depth and height wise in my box. Edit: Nevermind I bet if I tuned it sideways it would fit into my case!

Will probably have some pictures of my box design up by the end of the week!
    After that I can do a test run with a few tomato seeds or something and make sure it's running right before I put any good seeds in it.

I'm excited! I'm actually taking my time on this lil PC box and making it come out nice. I actually did order the fan speed control. I'll post some pics when it shows up! Lot more room to work with in one of these PC cases than I realized. Probably gonna do a screen of green method with one plant LST all through the screen.

8. I've been trying to do this already and I got stuffed up with how to turn it on. I messed around with the grounding and it went bad quickly.
    I've got a new one, so will try it your way. Post soon.

9. #9 SmokinTrichs, Oct 12, 2009
    I did mine yesterday. Funny, my power supply is exactly 420 watts. lol
    Cut the green wire and crossed with a black wire then plugged it in and powered on.
    The cable that came with my power supply was bad so I initially thought I had broke something. Memory served me right from my PC repair job days and I replaced the supply cable and everything powered up fine. I also used one extra black wire for the heck of it.

Then I stuck a wire anchor on there and tied the rest of the wires to the box with string so as not to cut through the wires and hold them up out of the way. I have two power lines left. One for the front of the case (fans taking in air on bottom) and one for the rear (fans pulling out air on top).

Attached Files:

10. #10 SmokinTrichs, Oct 12, 2009

11. lol... That would be awesome. I am thinking about taking an old scanner light since it can powered via the 12v and seeing if it is good enough to handle seedling growth (will definitely need to wire up more than one of these lights). But they are fluorescents, so I think it might work...

If that works, then the only thing not powered from the power supply will be the ballast/grow lights.

If it works, that will be a harder how-to because scanners are all different but will do my best to post something on how to get it done.

12. #12 escher, Oct 12, 2009
    I found a spec for a ballast that will run a 50w lamp off of 12v DC... Holy crap, now I am excited... I need to spend more time reviewing this, but this would be a LOT more fun than messing with a scanner, and far more productive...

Let me spend a little time digesting the information and I will put something together asap if I it really can be done!

13. I seen a bunch of zenon ballast for HID. I'm wondering if that will work.
    I think 50w of HPS is all you would need in a box this size. Suppose you could supplement with CFL's..

Would be neat to get a 12v 50W HPS in there!
    Let us know what you dig up. I'll review the little fan speed control when it shows up.

14. ok so I tried this tonight, I cut the light green (only green) wire. Then cut one of the black ones right next to it. I twisted them together, plugged it in and all three fans did a half turn then stopped.

It does this every so often. What might I be doing wrong?

15. #15 escher, Oct 12, 2009
    It sounds like you did everything correctly. there can really ony be three possible explanations.

1) Are you confident the power supply is functional? if so then

2) A possible disconnect in the two wires. are they firmly twisted together and locked with a wire nut? Were you able to strip the wires bare without damaging them? Some psus have additional monitoring wires as well. I will give directions on how to manage those this evening just in case it's tripping on that.

3) is it possible that either the black or green wires got pulled loose from the inside? if so for the black then secure the used black with a wire nut by itself and try using a different black wire. if the green pulled loose, then that gets trickier and would require opening the psu which if you do, unplug it from the wall and let it sit there for at LEAST a few hours to give the capacitors a chance to discharge.

are

16. It could very well be the power supply, I am 98% possitive it works as I powered my old PC on before removing, but I did carry it with me to my place.

Now I did not use a wire nut (Are you talking about the silicon caps?). I've got them pretty tight without the nut but I am thinking this could be it. How important is the wire nut? I figured it should at least work without one but unsafe to leave exposed.

The green wire is secured at the PSU end. I tried with 3 other ground (black) wires and same thing. I plug it in, switch it on and the fans do a jolt then stop. I feel like the Power supply is over loaded or doing some sort of shut off.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    syn

17. Sorry for double post! But I figured it out!

Read for a laugh:

The fans are from an old gaming PC I built. I had had the case decked out with neon and led lights. Attatched to the PSU was three fans and a mini sound box which flashed all the lights to the beat of the music playing out the speakers.

Well it's been like 8 years since I built it and forgot fans and the device are connected in series. Before I tried to hardwire the switch I followed the sound box wire and unpluged it. The thing is I had all the wires zipped tied so I couldn't tell I had actually unplugged all the fans as well.

I cut the zip tie to try and isolate each fan and all three fans and sound box fell to the ground...I was so puzzled like...did I just cut wires as well...then it all clicked.

The fans jerking must of been from slight movement as I realised the are really sensitive. So here I am trying to hardwire this thing and none of my fans are plugged in.

And for those thinking the fan on the PSU should of been running...well it got clogged in my early PC days and made loud noises so I broke the motor on it :).

The End.

+rep escher, thanks for the help and guide. I get back home and realize...idiot..I need a mainboard to switch this thing on, thanks to you it all works!

18. lol... That's awesome because I was running out of ideas on what might be wrong... :) I guess the old standby to check to make sure everything is plugged up still works.... roflmao...

And thanks for the +rep... :)

19. I finished reviewing the schematic and I do believe it will work. Further, it can be made to work with HPS or MH and is even adaptable to support multiple wattages (between 25 and 80) with some minor adjustments. Whatever wattage is chosen, is what the ballast will be stuck with for it's life but it was cool that the spec explained enough detail to make the mods for wattage differences.

I have been looked around and actually found some prebuilt ones, unfortunately I would have to import them so I am still looking. I will let ya know what I find or if I decide to build a homegrown one.

20. I've just bought a red & blue cold cathode light to add a broad spectrum of light, where am I going to be attaching it? The instructions that come with it all relate to the motherboard, which is being used as a bookshelf.
    Any ideas on how to make a skinny air srubber so that i'm not wasting valuable growspace?
    Could a small fan run off the psu be used as an impeller for a basic hydro setup?
    I was going to mount about 3-4 household light sockets and connect to a powerboard inside the case so I could have those powersaver lights providing most of the light, but this HID powered from the psu looks intruiging... any more on how that works?