Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How to turn moldy cannabis into safe edible medicine

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by helloscientist, Mar 29, 2014.

1. #1 helloscientist, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
    Patient is sensitive to mold and the latest harvest is potent but covered in powdery mildew. How can it be made usable?

This seems like it should work:

1. wash in 190 proof alcohol
    2. strain and filter through organic unbleached coffee filter. the solution looks clean.
    3. pour through carbon filter in typical home water pitcher
    4. evaporate alcohol and cannabis extract ("RSO") remains

Is the cannabis extract free of mold and safe to eat or dab?

2. ....

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Qwiso kills mold, either 91% or 99%. it is actually the best solvent for mold on cannabis.

4. #4 helloscientist, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014
    I don't think ISO kills spores.

Would a water pitcher carbon filter remove mold spores?

5. #5 CrispyBacon, Apr 3, 2014
    I don't think smoking cannabis that has been soaked in 90+ percent ISO alcohol would be very pleasant.

6. #6 helloscientist, Apr 3, 2014
    The cannabis is discarded after washing with ISO. The extract can be used for topicals or dabbing. Edible extract should be made using 190 proof (Everclear)

7. Sweet, thanks for the info. Love your avatar btw!
    [​IMG]

8. Would love to know the results on this!! It's kind of a need to know here in the Pacific north west,home to mold and mildew

knives heated dull red
    release sweet smoky nectar
    I am lifted high

9. #9 Currin_0, Apr 3, 2014
    Use naphtha oil for rso..

10. everything I have read indicates iso is the best to use for moldy weed and spider mite weed

What about BHO? I've made a batch with moldy buds and it was amazing.

12. butane will not kill off parasitic growth as much as iso. there will still be mold spores with butane. check out the qwiso threads here at GC, they go on and on...

to answer the original question. 
    \tHow to turn moldy cannabis into safe edible medicinesoak it in iso.drain material into pyrex dish and let the iso evap. re constitute the oily remains with a little grain alcohol and purge. use the leftover to add to edible, eat.

mold is mold is mold...if they have an allergy to molds and fungi then it isn't safe to use. solvents will also extract allergens from the mold...mold spores are smaller then the glands with the thc, so you won't be able to 'dry filter' with screens or bubble hash bags.

sell it to someone that won't mind cooked mold in an edible and get more herb without mold.

14. #14 LaCurandera, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014

Well that sucks... I'm not sure if there even is a store that sells the proper type of alcohol here.

EDIT: What about water-curing? I've read a bunch of threads with people more or less swearing by it.

15. Water cure works in some cases, hydrogen peroxide is actually the way to go actually, jorge Cervantes had a vid of it awhile back. The hydrogen peroxide and water mixture gets rid of ALL the mold, even on buds that don't look like there's anything on it. Submerge the buds and a few hours later there will be a layer of scum on the top. That's all the mold and mildew. Do this first before running ISO just to be safe and clean. ISO doesn't get rid of the spores, just renders them useless. Their still in the product!USE H202 FIRST!!!

knives heated dull red
    release sweet smoky nectar
    I am lifted high

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. #16 helloscientist, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
    Any solvent would work if we can remove mold spores with a carbon water filter. Does carbon filter out spores?

Would an N95 respirator mask filter out mold spores?