How to turn a plant male?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by stupidstuff, Aug 29, 2011.

1. I want seeds so I need a male but only have females.
    Any ideas?

2. Plenty if info on this bro. Just google it.

It's all about stressing the plant. Too hot, then cold... Giving it 24 hours of light then 16 then 12 then 24 hours of light. Over feeding under feeding.

You get it?

3. He wants a male plant, not a dead plant. Gender is genetically pre-determined. Stressing to hermie is not a good way to get seeds or pollen for breeding.

4. He was asking how to get a male. Right?

He mentioned his situation...that he only has females..

Now how to get to his destination?

That's how I viewed it...

Will it kill the plant If you provide an irregular light schedule or is worst case scenario hermie the plant?

5. As it turns out, colloidal silver sprayed on the plant during pre-flowering will do what I want.

Thanks

6. Sweet it turns it male huh? I'll have to look it up when I'm home.

And when it's shmokey time.

You foilar spray right?

7. colidal silver is a technique used by some breeders to produce feminized seeds. like previously stated, sex is genetically predetermined, although certain enviromental changes can be made to produce a higher/lower male to female ratio..

8. Hmmmm thanks for the food for thought

9. This statement seems inherently contradictory. If it's predetermined then you can't change it, if you can change it then it isn't predetermined.

10. if you have two females who not clones from the same plant you can stress one of them into hermies and take the hermie pollen from plant 1 and use it on plant 2 the seeds that grows on plant 2 will be feminized ;))

11. You can't turn a female plant male. You can only make it hermie. In the same aspect you can't turn a male plant female. I'm not sure if you can make a male hermie but it would be interesting to try.

12. You can hermie a male. It's rarely seen because most males get yanked the moment they show their sex.

And stressing a female to hermie in order to harvest pollen is likely to produce seeds that also will hermie, it's not the recommended way to create feminized seeds.

13. yeah, about that... if i have understood this shit right, by stressing a female into hermie and harvesting pollen and pollinate a different female with hermie pollen the seeds will be feminized, but the seeds that grow on the hermie will mostly be hermies :)

14. im pretty sure youre wrong about stressng a male female. males only goal in life is to release pollen. a females goal is to get pollinated, some females have a genetic predisposition to hermie in order to complete their life purpose. females without this trait cannot hermie no matter what.