how to transplant a 4ft tall plant

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by doindia, Dec 10, 2007.

1. hey guys.. stats

4 ft tall plant, in a 5 gallon bucket, ive done plenty of trans, but they were all smaller, i was able to flip them over and drop the root ball into my hand, while the plant stalk went through my finers as a guide... it looks like it may be a LOT trickier this thing is pretty freakin big and bushy

lets hear it?

hahah edit, i missed the 5.... 5 gallon bucket...

2. i just transplanted a fairly large plant, though not quite 4 feet. what i did was grip the base of the stalk and rest the pot sideways in my lap. i lifted it from my lap by the stalk and bottom of the pot, and had someone slowly pull the pot away while i supported the rootball with my other hand as it became exposed, and then placed it into the new pot and filled with dirt etc. i'm not sure if i put that very clearly, but it worked pretty well. basically i turned it 90degrees, slipped the old pot away, and put it back right-side-up into the new pot.

3. Is the bucket thin enough that you might be able to cut around the bottom? Then place in new pot and slice up the side and remove and lower into place?

Something tells me though, with a 4 footer in a 1 gal pot, that this plant is one tough SOB, so I really don't think you'll hurt it whatever you do!

Peace - OGH

4. it's not impossible, I've done trees well over 8 foot before..

carefully lay the pot on its side, ease the plant out of there, make sure you disturb the roots as little as possible.
    Cut the pot off the plant if you have to, it's only a pot.

When you get the pot off look at the roots, if it's root-bound you'll have to loosen the root ball.
    Especially look for any roots that're wrapping themselves round and round the root ball, pull them out so they'll grow away from the root ball.

Have the new container ready with some potting soil in the bottom (you'll have to judge the correct depth).
    Carefully lift the plant and the root ball up and put it in the center of the pot. Backfill the pot and firm the potting soil well around the root ball. Now water it well.

Make sure soil level in the new pot is the at the same level it was in the old one.