How To Train Your Dog To Find Your Doobies

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by Matt Mernagh, Feb 17, 2009.

1. I'm a dog trainer.

If you allow the dog to play with the baited Kong/ball/whatever after he finds it, you're actually teaching him to find it so he can play with it (they learn the scent and associate it with play).

I'd suggest finding a treat that the dog is nuts over, like freeze-dried liver. When he finds the baited Kong/ball/whatever, make him give it to you by gently taking it from his mouth while saying, 'Give', or another command you choose. Immediately give him the special treat once he releases the toy.

He should only get this special treat after he finds and gives you the stash, and not for any other behavior.

Dogs learn 'chained' commands easily, but you have to do it in the right way. Never allow the dog to play with the scented item he's told to find. The association chain in his head should be 'find the stash, bring it, release it, get a treat'.

Otherwise, the scenario is good.

2. definitely adding this to my to do list

3. The dog will probably eat your weed one day and then keep eating it because its awesome :)
    Theres a cat that only drinks bong water Oo its loopy too haha

4. i highly doubt that law enforcement would use 'fake weed' to train their dogs...

5. Great read, i want a ferret, but my dog would eat it, same thing with my weed :smoking:

6. ive been teaching my german shep/husky mix how to find pot. shes 14 weeks old and already knows the smell pretty well.

7. Haha that's rediculous.

8. TRIPPIN! Plenty of heads I know refer to there *****s as heads.

9. I thinks its morally better to steal someones illegal drugs, than to rob an old lady.. thats just wrong.

10. :smoking:Cool news, just got a new pup today. Will it be easeir to train in this way when shes younger? Its got some german sheperd in her so Maybe this is an advantage... :smoking:

11. Abusive? They would love to sniff out ganja rather than being in the pound. As far as im concerned its a win- win

12. My dog isn't to smart ~ He can't even follow simple commands! I tell him "Come here", he just looks at me like "wtf r U l00k1n @"

He does enjoy lounging around with me while I smoke, though. He's not getting high (at least, I don't think he is), seeing as how we're outside.

He's awesome, though. I love how I didn't add anything to the OP....

13. Exactly. Most people pinch off each other here and there, it's no biggie, but when you go and fuck with grandma, oh boy, you're in for a world of hurt.

14. I've got my dog to understand simple hand signals.sit ,lay down,stay.She is only 1 year old though,not entirely obedient.She loves the attention of "working",makes her feels useful.
    She is a Dutch Shep mix.

15. My weimeraner needs to learn this. He'd be king at it.

16. good article!! btw whoever said this borderline abusive.. shut the fuck up, you also referred to cannabis as a drug.. My question is: why are you on here?
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

17. I want to get a bloodhound and teach him the smell of weed, simply so he can fetch my pill bottle, and so i can test to see if my packaging is dog proof.

18. this is hands down the ultimate stoner circle party trick. Props OP. I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner.