How To Train Your Dog To Find Your Doobies

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by Matt Mernagh, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Ahh great thread Matt! I just recived a golden Lab she is 7 months. I grew up in toronto and miss younge street....whats been popping on church street lol! I want to point out on thing though. Couldent this also be used to find weed patches? If this information feel into the worng hands this could be a very bad thing! keep on doing what your doing and have fun at the march in april!!!

-Lots

2. yeup Apr. 20 is coming up quickly. we're almost four weeks away from 4/20 smoke out. you could train your dog to find outdoor marijuana grow patches. then you're out hiking about anyway. just remember ripping is really bad for your karma. and most often rippers grab em at the wrong time too. M

3. Shit I don't have to do anything and my cat know where the bud is. If I'm blazing inside, he comes to whichever room I'm in and chills with me. If I come home with a backpack with some special stuff inside and hide it...the cat comes out of nowhere, a totally different room in the house and come and starts sniffing my closet and pawing at it and meowing. :devious:

4. this doesnt work cause my dog is retarted

5. lmao ive actually done this with my 2 dogs but the adverse part is dont leave your weed where they can get it. i accidently left a blunt that i had just rolled on my table while i went to go start a pizza in the oven by the time i turned around they had eaten it:(.

6. Nice write up, but I have a boxer who can find weed. She at 180 dollars worth of it due to this. Not a good/ happy day on my part.

7. Boxers will eat just about anything that fits down their throat. I'm gonna start doing this pretty soon with the Wire Fox Terrier I rescued from the pound a few weeks ago. He is pretty smart and quick to learn and he has a great nose.

8. Ahh, I have a puppy, Might start this seeing as it might be helpful at a young age... It's a Dachshund, wonder if it's any good at smelling? Also, I've been high and lost weed before, maybe this can be a good way to find my stash or take someone else's >:)

9. Wow. I'm going to do this then take him for a walk in these really bushy areas around my house. See if he can find anything interesting! ;)

10. when they eat or wreck your weed its a bad. my ferret did that many times. little guy just grab the sack and run off to stash it. im curious to know when people have trained their dog to find their toke.

11. had my cat eat my stash once... wasn't fun.

12. im on the case Matt, my 15 lb terrier mix already retrieves ducks during hunting season here in CA. im starting today on the bud retrieving, i love the idea. now i wont have to get up from the couch to grab the stash. i'll let you know when hes a legitimate weed hound. stay up.

ps.

in hunting when your dog chews or mangles the animal it retrieves its known as "hard mouthed". its recommended that you not play tug of war with your dog because it encourages this behavior. maybe the same ideas could be applied to prevent your dogs from eating your nugs. i cant not play tug of war with him so i command him to "be easy" while he returns to me with what hes retrieving. maybe this will help someone.

:smoke:

13. Yeah i know..then you remember later that you didnt lose it, you ended up smoking it all lol.

Question: If the police use fake marijuana to train their dogs, how do the dogs know what they are sniffing for?

If it doesnt contain THC, it isnt legit training for the real deal. so how does that work?

14. afaik weed has several chemical compounds that make it smell the way it does and the police use them on their 'fake weed' to train the dogs

15. makes sense..

Seems like a lot of trouble, why not just use bud they confiscated?

16. Excellent read. I have a lab/shar-pei mix and I think I'm going to try this. She was actually getting scent training done when she was a puppy and I never kept up on once I adopted her so it would be fun.

17. My dog regularly finds bud, but he brings it to you so you'll share it. No training, just a hunter by nature (pound puppy mutt, beagle/dauschund apparently but he's kinda big). The only training he had was smelling the smoke, which is why he'd bring the baggie to you, for a while I had him trained to retrieve the pipe too but he's older now and not as motivated.

18. the way cops train drug dogs is really easy all they do is sent a tennis ball in the drug and then get the dog to fetch it and repeat.

19. I'd train my dog to do this just so I could have him fetch it from across the house, or train him to bring me a sack when I walk in the front door.:smoking:

20. i think everyone is forgetting something very good about this.

you can wrap your weed crazy before you go somewhere, say idk on an airplane?

tell your dog "where's my buds?"

and if he can't find it, you're golden :)