how to test soil for ph??

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Socki2ya, Nov 17, 2004.

1. should i be testing my soil's ph? if so how do i do this? i have a ph test kit for my water but is that all im supposed to be testing? sorry if its a dumb question but i'd just thought i'd make sure. thanks

socki

2. theres 2 ways to do it. if u have distiled water then take a lump of soil and break it up in the dis water, give it a good shake adn test the water. that shud b soil ph. the other way is when u water catch the run off water that comes out the bottom of the pot and test that. that wont b a true ph tho as it will b afected by the ph of the water u water with. u can water with dis water and get a better ph but its wastefull as it takes a lot of water and means overwatering ur plant every time u wanna ph check. best to take a lump and shake it up if u do have distilled water handy.

is that helpfull?

3. ya thanks wylde im gonna do that today. yur a great guy.

socki

4. Yup Wylde1 really is a great guy...lol...he always has the answer!

5. it does light? hows that work then?

i had 1 like that but just done ph, cost me a lot more than a tenna and was next to useless, after about a mth of using it every thing i tested had mad high ph. ok it was probably me fukin it up or not using it right, or mayb it was just a shit make but i dont trust them now and iv heard the same off a few ppl. if u can vouch for that 1 being relibale and acurate tho then i know a few ppl that wud want 1. did u ever check it against any other way of checkin ph?

6. 1.1 id class as way out. i mean in a soil grow u want ph6.0 .i spose a ph of 7.1 wudnt b 2 bad but ph4.9 wud b way outta wack and the meter wud still read ph6.0. or have i missunderstood?

7. Yo grobros,
    Test he pH of the distilled water. Pour a generous amount of that on the new soil, then simply press the strip into the watered area, and this will give you an idea of where you stand.
    But! When you Think you may be having a problem with the soil, it is time for a flush anyway. Do the quicky strip test. If it is wildly out of wack, prepare enough water to be 3x the size of your gro-container. Let it sit with occational shakings for 2 days. Adjust 1/3 of the sitting water to as much under pH7 as your surface reading was over, or the other way round. The rest should be at 7. If the runoff is still out of wack after pH7 (2nd third), adjust the remaining water the same as before. Make a final gallon rinse with distilled. This should reflect your actual soil pH. Otherwise, while it is still new, do as Wylde said, which should have been done first anyway. Mix enough distilled with the soil to make a spongy moist layer and press the strip into it. You test the soil, water, ferts, then in combos, then you make your adjustments accordingly. Keeping your garden fined tuned is the absolute glory of indoor gardening. Some people say, "It's just a weed!" but this is the difference. In the wild, our weed will grow within a fairly wide range of conditions, any of which can turn hostile. Because of this, it also developes _into_ a wide range of conditions. If you can make your garden simulate the ideal conditions which produce ideal pot, then why not?
    eg