How to tell the sex of a seed

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by HipHopUDontStop, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Hey guys ive seen alot of threads asking about how seed companies feminize there seeds and i came across this image on google i thought it may be a bit of help to some people so here you go:

Attached Files:

2. Don't know where you got that from, but I call BS. Can't tell the sex from a seed.

3. I'm with you on this one FW ^^^^

Totally bogus

PW

4. i wasent sure how legit it is but i though it was worth posting just in case mods feel free to remove

5. that is far from true.

6. Yep, fake....mods won't remove....and you shouldn't either, nothing wrong with posting something that could benefit the forums

Even though this one is fake its still good to tell others that info is garbage, thus a benefit

Carry on

7. Those "female seeds" aren't any more round than the "males." Femmed seeds have different genetics and the only way to tell is by knowing where they came from. The appearance tells you nothing. Thanks for sharing anyways, though.

8. poor explanation. they didn't even show the other side of the male seed where the huge penis is.

9. Hon, this has been going around for DECADES! And it still is pure BS!

Granny

10. is there any sure way to know just by seed like not by that chart but other tests you can do on them? if i understand correctly if you flower a plant to early even if its feminized it can still turn into a herm but isnt that a survival tactic because the plant sences that the grow season is close to over? i did a bag seed experiment and got a herm but i dont know if thats because it was bad genetic or just flowered to early

11. hah that made me lol for real

12. No absolute Bull Shizer

13. You have received numerous replies all stating that you cannot tell the sex of a seed. There is no available testing to determine the sex of a plant from seed, until the plant vegetates enough to produce pre flowers. Anyone stating differently is either uninformed or just plain ignorant.

Flowering plants early does not cause hermaphroditic flowers.

PW

14. if you want to know sex, take a few clones and leave the original plant under veg. put the clones under immediate 12/12 light cycle or even less light. they will not be much good to grow into maturity, but they should show you the sex of the original plant within 2 weeks.

15. The only way to get a guaranteed Female seed, is through a Hemaphrodite plant. Even that takes careful breeding. Not easy, thats why these banks charge some much for feminized seeds.

16. soooo apparently it's b.s.

feminized seeds come from inducing stress on the plant...read it in a book forget exactly how it works, but it's done by stressing

17. #17 toastybiz, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2011
    ^This.

Beyond that...feminized seeds from a reputable breeder are no more susceptible to hermie than "regular" seeds. Breeders don't produce femmed seeds from hermies or by stressing the plant but by treating select sites -- not the whole plant -- chemically/hormonally and/or different dark/light cycle, and this produces male flowers on female plants, only in the treated areas. The pollen from those buds is feminized, it is harvested and used to pollinate other healthy females, and the resulting seeds are all female. And they are darn near 100% from a reputable breeder because they stabilize their femmed lines before they release them. I've been growing femmed for years and have never had a hermie or male from one.