Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How to tell the quality of shatters

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by edddch, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Hello i'm into dabbing and I really enjoy dabbing some quality nug shatters.

So I'm just wondering how you guys tell whether a product is good or not? How do you guys see whether a product is purged right with no butane left in it?

I don't want to pay too much for some overpriced shatters!

thanks!

2. If it gets me high and I didn't over pay then it's A-Okay!

Sent from my iPhone on the moon

3. #3 Jimmy Carter, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2014
    Why even bother posting that^?

If it has a whole bunch of little bubbles then pass on it
    [​IMG]

Proper shatter should have little to no bubbles left it.
    [​IMG]

But really anyone can make shatter thats clear but still not finished. You need to make sure you know how its made and thats its been purged at least 24-48hr. A lot of shatter you'll find is most likely not made properly so be careful

4. Like the ash left from bud, the residue left from a dab can give you an idea of the quality. Proper shatter should leave little to no residue. Almost all is put up in vapor. However if there is a dark brown or even black splotch left on the nail, somebody may have gotten ahead of themselves in the purging. 

5. thanks guys!

so shatters that are darker in color doesn't necessarily mean it's bad right?

I guess the only way to know for sure is to know who make the concentrates.  

6. #6 Jimmy Carter, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014
    residue is not from improper purging, its from improper starting material. if your material was grown with synthetic nutrients and not flushed all the way, it will leave black residue. same goes for material sprayed with neem and other nasty shit.

High contents of fats, waxes and other inactive compounds can contribute to that as well but thats not usually the case unless it was some very old, powdered up material. sooo many variables

the only color you should look out for is green and brown, those will tell you it was carelessly made and full of inactive compounds/chlorophyll. Amber is fine. A lot of color has to do with age, strain and maturity of the starting material

7. Thanks a lot! it seems like I need to do some research myself about the process of making shatters.

purging, vac, de waxing, been hearing them everywhere but i have no idea what they are :p

thanks jimmy! appreciate your help and knowledge!

8. do yourself a favor and read through the BHO threads, many other knowledgeable people and myself have posted countless tips/questions/feedback :bongin:

9. You're like a scientist man

Eyes like Mr.Miyagi