How to tell quality of moonshine?

Discussion in 'General' started by Austria-Hungary, Oct 5, 2014.

1. I've had 2 batches of shine before...one had the slight taste and smell of corn, the other had a similar smell and taste but of straight alcohol, like vodka and rubbing alcohol mixed. The latter batch was also a lot more potent. Was the first shit not made right?

2. They all have unique smells, depends on the skill of the person makin it!

We always tested it with a drop of the tongue. If it makes your eyes water and fall down lol, its good shit.

Ive had some so strong one wiffll knock ya on yer ass

3. More info
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBlTBk-3KYM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

4. Drink it and find out.

5. I enjoy making moonshine as a hobby  and have made quite a few batches of sour mash corn whiskey.  You need a hydrometer to tell the alcohol content although if it will light on fire and burn for a bit it's at least 100 proof.  I don't bother with anything weaker than that. Sounds like the first batch was decent if you could taste the corn.  The second batch you described could have been a sugar based mash which tastes like shit usually or maybe it was some everclear being sold as shine. Without more experience in making it or at least tasting a few more batches you won't be able to tell what is good shine. I like my product to be strong, with a taste of corn and a clean finish and smell,sometimes a bit sweet like rum or tequila. Never should it have a burnt or chemical flavor, or be anything but perfectly clear, and the rubbing alcohol stuff is junk.  Good shine will give  you a nice  clean buzz and not give you a bad hangover.  Bad hangovers are in part caused by methonol, the cause of blindness in significant quanitities, we only should be drinking ethonol. Enjoy the shine but be carefull.