How to tell my parents?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jitros067, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hey guys, so last year I told my parents I smoke weed (by email and phone, I don't live with them), and supposedly my mom got a "heart attack" and my dad was being unreasonable. So I sent them an email explaining the benefits of marijuana, yet they ignore my attempts to justify my reason. They have this imagine that marijuana is a hardcore drug etc, and everyone that smokes it turns into a drug dealer bla bla bla.

I want them to know that I do have a medical card and I want them to understand clearly what the effects of marijuana is. I even think if my dad started smoking it could help him a lot, since he has a lot of stress and he's generally a nervous person. How do I get across them? Any suggestions please:)

2. 2 questions why would you even tell them if you don't live with them, and why would you even bring it up in the first place? Also if your dad needs it, he'll get it himself don't pressure someone into weed, especially your pops not cool.

3. I tell them because they're my parents and without them I would be nowhere so they deserve to know everything about me. They know I drink and smoke (cigs) and although they are definitely not encouraging it, they respond with a "you do what you think is best for you" attitude.

I'm not forcing my dad to smoke pot, where did you get this? I said I THINK it would benefit him, never said I'll put him under pressure like I'm some 12 year old peer pressuring kids to smoke cigs.

4. granny's list.

5. The first thing you need to do is quit trying to justify your actions to them. They either accept it or they don't. Force is usually met with resistance. Just keep living your life and show them through your actions that smoking marijuana doesn't change the person that you are - their son and a productive (assumption) member of society.

6. "Dad, I need to talk to you and mom about something.. "

"I dont know how to say this really, but, I got a girl pregnant. Shes real nice, and we even found some property up north together. I got a nice oil job lined up. Now. Dont freak out, i know what your thinking, my life is ruined. etc."

"But really, i just wanted to lighten the load of telling you i smoke a joint every few days to relive stress. " "and the only thing that was pregnant, was said joint, cuz im not that good at rolling yet":smoke:

7. Well how would I show them? I mean, I have a 3.0 Gpa (community college) and am very fit, I workout everyday but at the sametime I smoke everyday and it hasn't affected anything (well sure my GPA would be boosted a bit I guess), but how would I show them? If i tell them I smoke but my gpa is fine and I'm healthy etc, I would expect them to react in a negative way like " wtf if you didn't smoke you could have a 4.0 etc etc"

8. the fuck you mean show them lol?

Just tell them you smoke and if it hinders your school work or general attitude then you're dropping it. But for now it helps you sleep, and relax after a long day of studying. Tell them you dont plan to let my life revolve around it, just enjoy it every so often. :smoke:

thats it. lol

9. Your mom straight up had a heartattack when you told her you smoke pot?

Good god, you might want to just leave the situation alone before you kill the poor woman. She has obviously lead a closed sheltered life.

10. You are absolutely, 100 percent right, she has lead a closed sheltered life. It really makes me sad, she has no friends, all she does is stay home and take care of my dad. She has no time to enjoy herself or continue on her hobbies, all she does is worry and shit.

I think you guys are right, I'll just not tell them, doesn't seem like the right time. Thanks a lot guys:)

11. Dude you dont even need to tell them everything! I bet 100% your parents dont tell you EVERYTHING they've done. You know why, cause they dont want to influence you, and maybe its even best for you not to know... Same thing with smoking weed maybe it's best for them not to know, infact if my parents never knew i smoked my life would be at least 40 times better

12. If you have a medical card and there's no illegality to what you do there only concerns are probably health and motivation. I wouldn't approach them with the benefits of marijuana because saying " a recent study shows that marijuana actual stimulates brain cell growth" will not convince them. Just show them that it's no worse than alcohol and definitely not worse than cigarettes.

13. you mean it's definitely not worse than alcohol:p

14. Email them Grannys List and Documentaries that are un biased.

15. Sounds like they need to smoke a massive bowl with you brah

16. What's grannys list?

Also I was thinking about posting them this youtube video documentary about medical marijuana, it has people talking about the use of marijuana from both sides, so they can take in the information however they want.

17. Show them that your successful with being on the herb, and how the herb benefits you in life. I would tell them how the herb makes me more nicer because when I'm off the herb, I can be a very very mean person.

18. Well that's not true in my case. However, when I drink, I can be a very very mean person:p

I smoke because if I don't, I generally become very depressed and shit, but I don't think that would be a good idea to tell my parents since my mom worries about me 24/7 and if she knows that I'm not a happy person she'll like explode.

19. I respect you OP for having the balls to come forward and admitting to doing something that is generally frowned upon. and that too to the people who mean a lot AND ARE THE TOUGHEST CRITICS OF YOUR LIFE.

i remember the first time i smoked up and went home, my mom left the room after talking to me for a bit and all i wanted was to give her and dad a few hits so they could just relax. life's been hard to everyone man. there aint nothing wrong with easing someones pain.

all our parents are getting old. a few tokes here and there wont harm them. i think they've deserved it.