How to tell mother I lost my job?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by FruitSnacks, Jan 19, 2013.

1. I'm currently 21 living at home. I had a pretty decent management job at a retail store, that was looking promising. I never finished high school(GED), or went to college so I thought I was doing well for myself with a stable job, things looking good. Getting promoted, with word of further promotions.

I'm not going to get in specifics, but I messed up bad. And I got fired for it. They didn't want to fire me, but the DM was not going to stand for me staying around.

Anyways, as you could imagine, I feel completely defeated. This was the biggest break I have had in a long time. I know to some people feel like retail jobs are crappy second rate jobs, but I was real proud and felt good about what I did everyday. It was the best job I had ever had in my life. I felt like this job was going to get my out of the house, and start on my own life(naive, I know). And so did my mom...So now I am here, at home, broke, and no job. With my mother none-the-wiser. And I feel like shit, I let her and myself down. I didn't have school, don't have a family I have to support. Just had 1 job, and I couldn't even keep it.

So she was thinking about going to "my store" to buy some things and I would feel like a complete asshole for my mom to find out I don't work there anymore from someone else because she would probably bring me up.(trying to get discounts, be friendly, etc.)

How should I go about doing this? I myself am even in denial.
    It breaks my heart to have to let my mom down after finally doing something right for once in my life.

2. It sucks, but you have to man up about it. Part of falling is hitting the ground and getting back up. Explain yourself to your mom, and get a plan of action to correct yourself. Try finding another job, going back to school, going to school are just ways to get started. It's never too late to do something with your life, but it'll be a waste if you sit and do nothing and not fixing it.

3. Use these words.

"Mom, i lost mah job. oops!"

4. Dude you have got to tell us what you did, im very curious.

5. Don't let anyone tell you your job is second rate. A job is a job and if you are happy that's all that matters.

Sucks that you got fired, but as the poster above said, man up and bounce back higher than before.

6. Dude, tell your mom what you just told us. The only way you can be a failure is if you give up. Be optimistic, start looking for another job now that you have managerial experience under your belt. Maybe think about getting a trade. DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using GC Forum

7. How about- "mom I lost my job but i've already handed out 'this many' resumes and am determined to get back on the horse."

8. Just tell her the truth. You can never go wrong with that man. In the meantime start looking for a job in a similar field somewhere else.

9. Get a new job first, then walk up and be like, "yo mom I got a new job", then she'll be like, "what happened to the other one at the retail store?" Then you be like..."I quit that piece of shit."

10. how did you get a job there if you didn't complete high school?

11. I mean tell her but also matters qhy you got fired.. explain?? That would help alot more saying why

12. Seems like you have learned from your experience. Life is full of this.

If you were in management and still lived at home... What did you do with all your money? Might be time to evaluate your financial decisions.

Focus on what you can do to improve your future. Are you still on speaking terms with your store manager? Will he give you a good word for your reference?

Make a resume and hit the ground NOW. Not tomorrow or next week, but immediately.

13. Thanks OP, now youre gonna have me in suspense wondering what it was that got you fired>.<

but seriosuly though, just say what you just said to us. In situations like this, the truth is definetely the best way to go. Dont wait around to do it either, she will be alot more upset finding it out some other way