Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How to smoke without a panic attack

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Cosmic Journey, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Hey, I had been smoking for quite a while and was very familiar with the herb, but a few months back I had an anxiety attack. It was awful- pounding racing heart, shortness of breath, etc. All my movements felt like they were under a strobe light or something, it was terrible. Well, since then I have had a couple more of those, and they still are quite bad but I guess not quite as bad as the first because I didn't know what was going on.

The big problem is that all of these attacks ONLY occur when I smoke. Before my first one, no problem. But it's like, once I've had one, every single time that I smoke, I would get one. I have now gotten to the point where I can get a buzz and not really worry, but any more and I always get a panic attack. Thinking back on it, I'm pretty sure my first one was caused by my noticing my faster heartbeat (a normal side effect, mine is usually about 120bpm when I smoke) and I momentarily got freaked out. Unfortunately, I can always feel my heart beat, so if it beats any faster, I am immediately aware of it. This led to my first anxiety attack, faster and harder heartbeat, more freak out etc.

I am not worried about my heart when I smoke anymore. And I don't think that my attacks are caused by stress or anything like that. I think the sole reason why I have an anxiety attack when high, is out of the fear that I will get one in the first place. I get paranoid about having one when I smoke. So basically, I fear having an anxiety attack, which leads to me actually getting one. It's one big downward spiral.

I've tried telling myself it's all in my head. I KNOW it's all in my head. I've tried telling myself if I don't worry about it, I won't get one. I try to tell myself that it's my worry that gives me something to worry about in the first place. But it does not work: every time I get stoned, Bam! It's almost as if I begin to worry about whether I am worrying or not! Can somebody offer insight on how I can break out of the downward spiral, and end my fear of ever getting one. It's the fear of having one that gives me one! Please, I just want to enjoy pot again. I just want to relax and unwind on it like I used to. Please help!

2. I think it's time to put the bowl down man. Why would you keep smoking if it doesn't give you the desired effect you want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hey man, might sound weird to you but try some yoga breathing techniques if you feel overcome by this again. Was informed about yoga through my strength and conditioning coach...and Ricky Williams lol. It helps me after a stressful day to wind down, mayb it could help you out a little after blazin.

Back of the Throat Breathing in Hatha Yoga: Hatha Yoga Breathing Techniques | eHow.com

This has a whole series, but there are other techniques and teachers out there. This and some chill music after a nice bowl of fluffy bud is pretty amazing.

4. I don't understand so many people having panic attacks when they smoke cannabis. I don't know, nor have I ever met anyone who has had a panic attack because of smoking marijuana. Here at GC, though, every day there's a new post about someone having a panic attack while smoking. :confused:

5. They're trying to infiltrate us and pretend pot is all of a sudden causing panic attacks all over the place!! :eek:

Really though I've only ever heard of new smokers having any problems like this. A friend of mine gets panic attacks if she doesn't smoke but that's about it.

6. Chill. Everything is good. Life is good. :bongin:

7. this has happened to me when ive gotten way to high. the first thing to remember is that its not going to hurt you. even if it feels like your pulling 1000 g's. you cant fight it either, if you try to fight it youll make it worse. usually movement can snap you out of the gravity feeling till the point where its not frightning, unless you accelerate fast like in a car or something. so just walk around. dont get to cold either, it can be like 70 degress and be feezing and the last thing you want is a shiver attack, ive had them before and their terrible, it leaves you feeling like you just barley survived a heroin high or some thing. if your really tripping out dont close your eyes, it makes the effects much more intense and unpleasent, ive come to the point were i actually like that feeling of falling super fast, it doesnt scare me anymore but it use too. if you close your eyes when your trippin youll probley end up puking, which ive seen happen before, ugh its nasty and it ruins the high for every one else around you. music can be bad to. so stay away from any thing that scares you or has any really sharp fast noises or loud bass. like a sub ( also something that can be enjoyable later on ) also just make shure that your breathing good and not stopping for long periods of time. You can also set a goal for your self or have some one set on for you, its always nice to have a timeline of when you know you will start feeling better. and its usually about 2-3 hours. so if you started having a bad trip at 4:30, remind yourself that at 6:30 you should feel alot better. this is all i can think of right now, so i hope this helps if it happens to you again. try not to quit over something like this, most likely youll be able to work your way back up again and enjoy the beautiful Herb:smoke:

8. I had the exact same problems when I first started. I knew I could get past it and reach my goal of being high and not panicking.

As soon as you start to feel it, just focus on your breathing and keep reminding yourself that the feelings you have are normal. The increased heart rate is normal, dry mouth is normal. If you feel dizzy or light-headed just sit down, nobody is going to make fun of you for being too high.

Things won't change for you right away, but the more you smoke and follow these methods the more comfortable you'll become. Try to immerse yourself in the culture of smoking.

That way you're just a pot smoker getting faded, instead of some guy trying pot and freaking out.

9. Well, I read a post a few months ago that said many growers have been growing OUT certain chemicals out of cannabis. not on purpose, but because they are trying to make the buds have a higher THC ratio. THC is not the only compound in creating an enjoyable high. A study showed that THC alone makes for more panic attacks.

To OP, if you're not having fun with the herb anymore you shouldn't use it. that's just like eating something that doesn't taste good. you just don't do it. i would suggest trying different strains and if that doesn't help, just put it down

10. blaze out doors, i got panic attacks when I hotboxed and slowdown

11. i used to have the same situation OP. it used to be almost everytime i smoked i would panic and all id think about was wether i was panicing or not once i became high, then the racing heartbeat would freak me out. however ive found out how to overcome this. what i did was i stopped smoking for about two months, then when i started back up again i made sure i was with a comfortable group of friends and i was doing something fun that would keep my mind off of the possibility of me panicing, and when i did this, everything was fine, and i was able to chill out and enjoy my high.

12. I have the exact same problem, the first time I smoked i had the worst panic attack ever. It's always on the back of my mind and If i get really really high I'm almost guaranteed to get one. The one thing that completely removes a chance if panic attack is getting tipsy. If I'm a little drunk then my heart doesn't pound, if it does I don't seem to mind because I know it's nothing dangerous. There's really nothing else I know about preventing them other than being around amazing vibes with fun people

13. Here's a idea..... Chill the fuck out and enjoy your high. I really don't understand paranoid people they are really annoying. I mean really, when someone is freaking out over nothing it just ruins my high.

14. Ignorance is bliss eh? Obviously you don't wanna be open minded, and paranoia is actually a scary thing for some people before they learn how to identify it and control it.

15. Well it is a scary feeling and isn't always as easy as just chilling out. I did a lot of research before starting back up after 30 years of not smoking. Even with all the good info, the first time or two I had to really tell myself that I was just high and enjoy the feeling. For some it isn't as easy as that.

I do agree with the other poster who said that the strain might be the problem. Selective breeding has resulted in strains that have a higher THC/CBD ratio. Those strains are much more likely to produce anxiety or paranoia in those who are predisposed to it.

See if you can find an indica dominant strain and it should have a better ratio of the cannabinoids to it. That should help. Also the yoga breathing should help as well and if all else fails, maybe it's time for a break or to just quit altogether.

Good luck.

16. I think everyone has been paranoid while they were smoking at one point or another it's one of the side effects because it's illegal so your already apprehensive about it going in possibly?

I would suggest getting a medical card and smoking medical grade cannabis that way you know its dr. regulated and you dont have to worry weed never killed anyone EVER no matter what drugs you mix it with you really can't go wrong i've never had a problem being paranoid about anything since I got my green card.

17. I know several people who won't smoke because it makes them paranoid/have panic attacks. If it produced undesirable affects for me, I probably wouldn't do it either. You can try to relax and what not, but if it keeps happening to you maybe you should think about quitting.

18. This happens to me, but not every time, however maybe once a month, if not less. However mine is much worse. I feel as if I'm dieing and black dots start closing in around my vision until I cant see anything. If it goes that far i pass out.
    I have really bad anxiety, and I'm sure the weed makes it much worse (because it only happens when I smoke). Maybe you have anxiety.

Also, it keeps happening to you because you fear is subcounciusly. Really the only thing to do is not think about it and relax. If its starts coming on you have a few minutes before it actually starts bad. So keep saying STOP in your head, this messes with the signals going to your brain and takes your mind off it.

19. having a racing heart is odd at first, learn to enjoy it just imagine your on speed or something and go do some crazy shit

20. Your problem is you are telling yourself it won't happen. You need to whole heartedly believe that you won't get one.