How to slow dry cannabis for 3 months?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by TheChron, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Hello and welcome to all. 

To be straight to the point:
    I want to harvest my almost fully mature autos in near future just before I leave town for 3 months. My dilemma is that I will have to leave them completely unattended for a minimum of 2-3 months. I know that you can dry whole plants a max of 1 month (depending on conditions). Then you jar them up and start the curing process. 
    I don't have that oppurtunity to tend to them for at least 2 months. So my question is this:

Whats the best way to slow dry cannabis for good taste and potency while being able to leave it completely unattended for at least 2 months?? Can you slightly seal buds in paper bags? Or can you hang them as whole plants unventilated, at lower temps, in a tent out of bed sheets in a dark room? Prolonged exposure to air degrades THC, so can I just leave buds in paper bags for 2 months without risking mold? 

Any help will be greatly appreciated,
    Thx, theChron.

2. You can't leave it unattended for two months until it is fully cured.   You are asking for disaster.

PW

What if I hang whole plants inside a metal frame 2m high x 1m wide x 0.3m deep. Basically, a rectangular prism shaped tent 0.6 m^3 covered with a bed sheet. Minimal air circulation, yet plenty of space for buds. Temperatures around 15*C-20*C (60*F-70*F), relative humidity high, far high window tilted in 5 degrees to create a narrow vent with outside air, dark room. Won't this significantly slow down the drying process?

4. You can slow it down, but within two weeks the buds would need to be removed from the stem and cured in jars or the flowers will continue to dry until brittle and crumbly and smell like hay.  Can't you take it with you and cure it properly?  If it is an auto we are not talking about a large volume to cure.

PW.

5. Trim off the large leaves and hang them in a cool dry place and they will be fine when you get back.  All this curing is BS for the super picky smoker who thinks they know what good bud is.  I just finished trimming last years stuff a month ago, and it still smells like candy even if its a bit dry. The plants I finished trimming were hanging since last november.

6. You may come back to moldy bud after 3 months.

7. You find a trustworthy person to do it for you. And hope he doesn't rob the shit out of you.

Or come back to either moldy buds, or entirely dry and hay smelling buds.

8. Funny the bud I just trimmed hung from nov-aug and did not smell like hay????  

9. Hanging for 9 months, it probably has been hanging long enough to lose any and all smell, taste, and potency. Dry as shit too I'm guessing.

10. It still smelled fine and was sticky when you broke it up but yes was very dry.  Still made a great extraction and the weed smoked nice to. THC does not evaporate.  Depends on the humidity where you live as to weather it will mold.

11. THC does degrade though, as do all the cannabinoids, given most importantly time, and heat.

12. Like i said.  A cool, dry, dark place.  The concentrate I made from that trim tested at 1.5% activated meaning it was still dank.  No broken down thc either.  It takes longer than you think if it is kept in the right conditions.

Dark cool and dry and 3 months is fine.

13. You said from Nov- Aug, that's 9 months.

14. #14 Shiva Blaster, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2013
    You are either going to have moldy or overdried buds after that long....you need to be present and monitor the entire drying and curing process.   Buds need to go into jars after 4-5 days of drying, so you will have to be there for this, otherwise your buds will be bone dry and flaky and taste like crap when you return as there will be zero moisture left.   You will have textbook "hay-tasting" weed.

If you knew you were leaving at this time, you should have started a couple of weeks earlier.....not very good planning, although you probably already realize this.

15. Hay ..........................at one end and ...........................mold   at the other, the choice is yours

16. Sigh my friend in Humboldt cures his weed for 10 years so yes you can, dry you're weed to 5%-10% humidity or they will mold get a deep freezer and air tight bags that u can attach a vacuum to I buy them at my local as seen on TV store found in my mall they have a hole in the back for the vacuum specially made put you're weed in those air tight bags zip em up put you're vacume on the back suck all the air out and pop them into you're freezer he does this because he says weed can cure for over 9 years slowly turning shit into cbd and hopefully THC and trust me his smoke is the finest ive ever smoked. And as long as there's no air aka air tight or low amounts of air your buds won't loose humidity and if your buds are at 5-10% humidity mold cannot consume in that freezer so you're good, I don't really know about any other way

Sent from my Xoom using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. dude the are ways to preserve weed I don't think he means only drying because well that's impossible there gets a point where it can't dry and turns into dust in you're fingertips

18. Read the original post, he is talking about drying, not curing.   He's talking about cutting the plants and then leaving for 3 months.

19. And another reason why I should really stop dabbing and reading forums lol thnx on pointing that out seriously not sarcastic :)

20. Chop a week before u leave even if its early. Cut nugs off branches after 4 days. Throw into paper bags for a day and a half. Put in hars and burp often for the last day and a half. Problem solved.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II. I know you bitchez be jealous.