How to set up a whole grow room

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Sallygreenfingers, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Hi I’ve been growing in wardrobes for years and had good success.
    We have a spare room and I wondered how I would go about the set up for the whole room. I was thinking 20 plants how many lights at what wattage, and I have 3 6 inch carbon filters but obviously smell is going to be a huge issue! Any advice?

2. The room is 7 1/2 by 6 ft

3. If you're going LED, generally it's 30 watts of Samsung diode QBs per square foot. You have 45 square feet, so that's 1350W for your whole space.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4. Cut a hole in the ceiling to vent out, make a light proof passive intake on the opposite side of the room at floor level, you'll only need one carbon filter hang it up high and attach a fan to pull air out. I have a 4x4x6.5 veg room with 700 watts of qbs and a 8x8x6.5 flower room with 2 1000watt hps and I'm gonna replace them with 1800 or 2400 watts of qbs in spring and both rooms have 1 filter and 1 fan I use the ac infinity inline 6in it's really quite and moves plenty of air for rooms that size plus controls temps pretty well. You need about 30watts per cubic foot with the qb leds and I'd say 40 for hid lights. You wont be able to fit 20 full size plants in a room that size, I run a perpetual cycle with 4 plants at a time to harvest every 5 weeks so I never have more then 8 at a time in flower(maybe 12 if I wanna do some extras) they need room to breath and trust me you dont want to move 20 plants every couple of days to water them or to try and clean and maintain that much hydro equipment with no room to move. I use 7 gallon pots with no-til organic soil.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. The lights is watts per square foot not cubic foot sorry. So 7.5x6 is 45sqft so 45x30 is 1350watts for qbs and 35x40 is 1800 for hid lighting(mh,hps,cmh) I'd go with either 3 600watt mh/hps or get 8 qb96s and run them on 2 650watt drivers either setup will cover the whole space with plenty of light but the qbs will run a lot cooler and save you money in watts from the lights and the fans

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. 20 plants in a 45 s/f space is going to be real crowded, real fast. Unless you do SOG.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 20 plants ,, are you sure your a seasoned grower ?
    Sounds like something I would of tried when I first started growing .

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Never done it in a room so was just judging on the size of the wardrobes I usually use obviously an over estimate but that’s ok that’s why I asked to get advice, I’ll scale it down!

9. I’ll scale it down thanks !! :)

10. Thank you :) and recommendations on the lights to use??

11. Tg
    Thanks for your reply really helpful I appreciate it :)

12. Its becoming a debate which companies are selling the genuine Samsung LED's as in Light Emitting Diodes .

I buy from Horticulture Lighting Group ..
    Some buy from china and those are the boards that in question if they are the real deal or not .

Assembling your own boards is the only way to go and the price is about a buck per watt ..
    28 watts minimum per square foot of grow space ..

13. That’s a small room but you could probably get away with a 2k or maybe even 4 600 watt lights, if you’re looking for easier then I would recommend getting a 2k

I’m going to eventually do a window box tutorial and pander that it get stickied in the DIY thread, but I build window boxes and mount them to the top of the window so I can open the window a couple inches and vent out in a stealthy way. I wouldn’t cut a hole in the ceiling unless you own the place.
    Also more room is better and 20 small plants in a small space like that will be doable but you may not get a good yield.

This is my ventilation setup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If I had the money I would have gone with some LED fixtures but if you like a bargain I recommend downloading offerup. Letgo and looking on Craigslist for lightly used grow lights and equipment. You can get some great deals from people who couldn’t cut the mustard

The Grow Show: No Till ROLS Stealth Spare Room part II: Return of the NuteLess

Sent from Uranus, with love